Waterless Car Wash - Anyone tried it out?

BigAl127 23:22 29 Dec 2007

Has anyone used the waterless car wash, such as Eco-sheen and many others that are now available?

I'm a little reluctant to take our new car, through the car wash at the local garage, and the waterless systems seem to be getting good reviews.

I can always resort to using my pressure washer, or bucket & sponge. But if anyone has tried the waterless system, I would appreciate your opinion.

Failing that, any tips on the best way forward for washing a new car? Trying to avoid surface scratch marks\swirls on the paintwork.

Snec 23:33 29 Dec 2007

I've had many new cars and have always used the car wash from day one. Never had a problem with damaged or marked paintwork.

BigAl127 23:42 29 Dec 2007

Thanks for your prompt reply. I know the car washers today use softer bristles etc, and therefore are less likely to cause problems.

Whilst on the subject does anyone know why you have to put the little plastic bag over your rear wiper?

WhiteTruckMan 23:43 29 Dec 2007

one for glass, one for bodywork and one for wheels, wheelarches and sills. Never, ever, use them for another purpose, and dont get them mixed up from previous use. And always start from the top and work your way down.

WTM

alB 00:06 30 Dec 2007

This is the stuff you want, I started using it about 12 months ago, easy to use and gives a fabulous finish, the only time my car sees water now is when it rains !! ...alB

click here

Chegs ®™ 00:16 30 Dec 2007

Bucket of cold water & a reasonably stiff bristled brush.Once a year,decent hand polish.Took a few minutes to wash each of my taxi's...was free and the cars always passed the council test(cleanliness is included as well as mechanical worthyness)

BigAl127 00:22 30 Dec 2007

Chegs ®™

I know what you mean about the cleanliness of the taxi's. I was a Private Hire owner\driver, and we were subject to very strict rules.

Further input still appreciated.

Kemistri 00:29 30 Dec 2007

Bucket, washmitt, microfibres, hose, blade and a whole load of Meguiar's stuff for me.

Stuartli 00:41 30 Dec 2007

..or AutoGlym...:-)

It's not wise to use a pressure hose too closely or fiercely on a vehicle.

I much prefer the bucket and sponge method on a car that has been properly waxed and polished.

I avoid wash 'n wax type products as these normally bring considerable windscreen smearing when using the wipers.

You can buy wax free car wash products but they are difficult to track down - Simonez, for instance, doesn't seem to make one any more.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:26 30 Dec 2007

click here and especially the post by Cambridge Autogleam.

G

johndrew 11:34 30 Dec 2007

... why you have to put the little plastic bag over your rear wiper?`

I prevents brush bristles tangling with the wiper and pulling it off. Not a problem with front wipers.

I usually use the ignition switch to move both front and rear wipers to the vertical as the brushes go through. This avoids the tangle problem and that of, sometimes, a dirty patch under the rear wiper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?