Water under the bridge?

oresome 18:43 01 Nov 2009

Norfolk Tories feel they've been trussed up.

The woman chosen on Saturday by party members to fight the county's South-West constituency had an affair with Cities of London & Westminster MP Mark Field some years ago. Elizabeth Truss didn't declare the liason during the selection process as she either thought it wasn't relevant or public knowledge or both.

Does the private life of a potential MP matter to you?

octal 18:47 01 Nov 2009

It doesn't really worry me as such, but if they are required to disclose such information in the selection process and didn't, then what else have they lied about?

john bunyan 18:53 01 Nov 2009

"Does the private life of a potential MP matter to you?"
Not that type of thing but clearly one wants an honest, helpful person . Some issues in private life , as we have seen by the behaviour of some MP's and Lords are unacceptable. Also beliefs and values - are they private? Most people want a person with broadly similar views as themselves to represent them.

egapup 19:19 01 Nov 2009

"Does the private life of a potential MP matter to you?"

Of course it does, especially now after the expenses disgrace.

DANZIG 20:07 01 Nov 2009

Surely by this rationale, it would mean no-one would become an MP. Everyone has 'skeletons in the closet' that they would prefer people didn't know about.

I know I have, but does it affect my ability to do a job? I don't think so.

Also do we really want people who do not suffer from human weaknesses representing us? I know I don't, for how could they possibly understand what it is to be human??

Kevscar1 20:49 01 Nov 2009

What it comes down to is Honesty, a virtue sadly lacking in most MP,s. If she was supossed to tell and didn't then good riddence.

DANZIG 20:58 01 Nov 2009

Honesty IS a virtue, but I don't think there is anyone amongst us who HASN'T been dishonest at least once in our lives.

We try to convince ourselves at the time that its for the best and then get on with things, but its STILL dishonesty!

Be it in our professional or personal lives, as soon as public office or celebrity beckons, the papers will drag it up.

DrScott 02:03 02 Nov 2009

don't really matter, unless there is a significant conflict of interest.

The problem is that if you choose to reside in public life, there is an expectatation that you will demonstrate some degree of integrity.

oresome 13:17 03 Nov 2009

Revealing quote from John Mortimer, 62, a member of the Swaffham Conservative club in the constituency for 20 years:

'They make out we're stupid, saying details of her affair were on Google, but no one in Norfolk knows how to use Google.

Forum Editor 18:21 03 Nov 2009

Actually, what it comes down to is whether or not this woman will make a good MP, and do her best for her constituents. I couldn't care less if a parliamentary candidate decides not to blurt out details of an amorous affair, as long as it doesn't compromise his/her effectiveness, if elected.

This daft idea that we're entitled to know absolutely everything about an MP's private life is quite ludicrous.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?