Water Softeners/Scale Eliminators

johndrew 16:10 25 Jun 2007

The only link this may have to computers is a 13 amp plug, but I am looking for anyone with experience of Electronic Water Softeners or Scale reducers similar (or exactly the same as) click here

I understand the theory but have no knowledge of how effective the equipment is in practice. Has anyone out there used this or similar equipment and if so how effective did they find it to be?

Many thanks in anticipation.

bluto1 18:01 25 Jun 2007

I`ve got one of them mounted in my loft. It's been there about 2 years and whilst it does soften the water a bit it only "takes the hard edge off it". My wife still has to use Calgon in the washing machine to protect the element. The kettle still gets furred up and has to be cleaned out about 4 times a year.
We don't notice much difference in the bath or shower so all in all I think it depends where you live. I live near Boston in Lincolnshire and we get our water from the Peterborough reservoir, notoriously hard.

rezeeg 19:12 25 Jun 2007

johndrew as I live a hard water area I've had one installed on the incoming water pipe under the kitchen sink. It's been there for about 15 years and works a treat.

I don't know about the state of the pipework but the kettle now only needs de-furring about twice a year, and even then isn't as bad as it was previously when needing about monthly cleans.

The bath and shower only needs de-furring after my son's used either of them ;-))

bluto1 21:40 25 Jun 2007

You say yours is connected beneath the kitchen sink. The reason I put mine in the loft was because I thought that was the only place to find a rising mains pipe. I thought the pipe beneath the sink only supplied the tap. Please tell me I'm wrong and I'll soon change it. It seems obvious that I'm doing it wrong as we`re both using the same gear and it works for you.
I know this is johndrew's post but the info is relevant to him as well. Cheers mate.

rezeeg 21:59 25 Jun 2007

bluto1 mine definitely enters the house under the kitchen sink. See also click here

madgamer234 22:15 25 Jun 2007

johndrew, 10 years ago i consider this method of softening water but i can't exactly remember the reason why i rejected it.
i also remember that i did a bit of research into magnetic water conditioning.even toyed with the idea of buying a pair of strong magnets and making it myself.

i think that it's all a bit like homeopathic medicine,you really need to believe that it works.

in the end i bought a brita softener jug but i stopped using it a couple of years later when i became aware that any bacteria in the filter stays there for the 2/3 months lifecycle of the filter.not ideal really.

stuck to tap and bottled water ever since.

Stuartli 22:56 25 Jun 2007

Water is always initially piped into a property at ground level...:-)

Our stopcock is under the sink area and obviously, if turned off, cuts off the entire water supply.

Which reminds me that United Utilities are "threatening" for the second time in six weeks to cut off our water for up to 10 hours a day tomorrow and Wednesday to upgrade the main street supply.....:-(

johndrew 11:08 26 Jun 2007

From what I have read, it is best to install the unit adjacent to the stopcock on the house side as all water entering the house will then be treated. If you put it in the loft, presumably on the header tank inlet, you will only treat water supplied from the tank; generally the hot water, toilets and taps other than the kitchen and outside taps.

Should add that most main stopcocks are under the kitchen sink but I have seen them elsewhere (downstairs toilet, utility and even in a box outside the back door). My current stopcock is in the airing cupboard which is in the center of the bungalow.

Sounds as if you have a bit more DIY to do.

johndrew 11:15 26 Jun 2007

I`m not sure this particular science could be described as `homeopathic`, but there are various ways used to gain the effect; magnetism is one and radio frequency another. I feel a lot depends on the strength of field used as the effect is only temporary (lasts for days rather than months) and must reduce during the effective time.

What I`m trying to determine is how effective the use is on scale which is present as well as potential.

Brita filters will reduce scale but as you say there is the potential for bacteria; hence we use our jug to fill the kettle only.

johndrew 11:17 26 Jun 2007

Many thanks to all for responding, but as I said above, I`m trying to determine is how effective the use is on scale which is present as well as potential. So any information would still be appreciated.

Cymro. 12:18 26 Jun 2007

I wonder why this problem can`t just be solved at the waterworks. You people seem to be paying for an inferior product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?