The water is back on!

DANZIG 23:56 27 Dec 2010

We got back from the East coast on Sunday to find our pipes were frozen - no water.

Its just come back on.

The point of this is, that I never realised how much I relied on hot and cold running water till it was no longer there!

Not being able to flush the toilet was the worst thing!

Having to rely on neighbours and supermarkets for water and a good friend for the use of their shower has woken me up a bit!

mr simon 00:20 28 Dec 2010

We went without water for the last eight days, barring one day in the middle of that where it ever so briefly came back on, but thankfully has come back for good today. Coupled with the heating not working, I was really starting to enjoy being at work just because it was warm and I could use the toilet. Glad yours is sorted.

rdave13 00:49 28 Dec 2010

Water is life whether it is snow, ice, steam or vapour.
Shakes you up a bit if it doesn't flow from a tap...lol!

Forum Editor 13:54 28 Dec 2010

to a house in a quiet country location. The house was originally a gamekeeper's cottage, built in 1560, and it has its own water supply from a borehole. That obviously didn't exist for several hundred years, and as there's no trace of a well anywhere in the gardens I assume that all water must have been carried from a stream that runs about 300 yards away.

That can't have been much fun at the best of times, but when there was a hard winter it must have made life pretty grim. As you say, when you don't have hot and cold running water you realise how much we have all come to take it for granted, yet in the (relatively recent) past people had no running water in their houses at all, let alone hot water.

peter99co 14:16 28 Dec 2010

and not a drop to drink?

click here

Bingalau 15:00 28 Dec 2010

You are correct there FE. When I was evacuated in 1939 to a cottage in the little village of Diddlebury in Salop. My brother and I were given the daily task of carrying two buckets of water each from the one pump in the middle of the village to the house a distance of about 400-500 yards. Now that village is about four times the size it was then and every house has its own utilities laid on. The house we lived in has been modernised and gone is the lovely thatched roof and the honeysuckle from around the porch. (no porch).

Forum Editor 15:10 28 Dec 2010

My son's house was originally two cottages, converted into one at some point in the 19th century. The water supply is from a deep borehole sunk into chalk, and tastes pretty good.

The house is listed Grade II, which presents its own problems as far as maintenance goes, but it's very pretty (and a bit chilly at the moment).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?