Waste of Money?

bremner 14:38 13 Jun 2010

click here

An NWAS spokesman said the increase had occurred "despite campaigns by both the police and ambulance service to ask the public to drink sensibly and enjoy matches in good spirit".

Campaigns that will have cost money.

Is this money that could have been better spent in these days of public expenditure cuts?

My local Force seems to have provided a poster for virtally every pub warning that drinking leads to violence at a time when they have to cut their budget by £3m this year.

Do you think posters will make the slightest difference?

wee eddie 15:18 13 Jun 2010

bremner: Our local Force are continuously being told to 'do something about it' but that instruction rarely comes with any, practical, suggestions. So they do what best they can.

Most of us are aware that such Posters will make little, or no, difference to the die-hards. However it may warn the more sober, if that is an acceptable pun, of us that it's a good time to keep our heads down.

While I have no Statistics to quote, I have been told by a member of the local Police Force that they reckon that most of the injured are innocent by-standers rather than the Instigators.

spuds 15:26 13 Jun 2010

These sought of campaigns make very little difference to the uninitiated. Take the Drink and Drive campaigns, and the results or lack of that brings.

Our local constabulary had a brain-wave last year. Give confectionery type lollipops to people heading for the nightclubs?.

woody 16:59 13 Jun 2010

We could put the drunks in a cell with bread and water for 2 or 3 days and if there are ten of them in a cell made for two - tough!

interzone55 17:09 13 Jun 2010

On a related note, yesterday I saw something for the first.

I was having my breakfast in Wetherspoons (good value for the full english with coffee) and young lad who can hardly walk asks for a pint and the barman refused to serve him because he was too drunk.

It's incredibly sad that some people drink so much that they're full on drunk at 9:30 on a Saturday morning, and I was pleased that the barman refused point blank to serve this guy, £2 less in the till, but his boss keeps his licence...

morddwyd 18:53 13 Jun 2010

Similar campaigns were used in the days of National Service (and later) when young lads went overseas for the first time.

Graphic warnings, and films, about STDs being rife among the local bar girls.

No-one I knew ever took a blind bit of notice.

(Don't ask, I'll lie!)

peter99co 18:21 14 Jun 2010

click here

The pubs face eight and six week suspensions respectively but have three weeks to appeal.

Big Deal!

With the World Cup upon us and local bars expected to be extremely busy. If neither pub appeals, the suspensions will begin at the end of the month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017