Was Bill Gates a clairvoyant?

Pine Man 09:24 11 Dec 2008

Was he hell!

In 1981 he said that nobody would ever need more than 640 kilobytes of memory on their personal computers.

He also said at the 2004 World Economic Forum: "Two years from now, spam will be solved."

crosstrainer 09:46 11 Dec 2008

If you want a real laugh, get a hold of a copy of his book "The Road Ahead"

Written in 1997, his predictions turn it into a great comedy read.....Should get it for peanuts too :))

interzone55 10:28 11 Dec 2008

"In 1981 he said that nobody would ever need more than 640 kilobytes of memory on their personal computers."

Although that is widely reported, he apparently never said it.

As for the spam issue, if he'd had his way the spam issue would have been solved.

Bill's answer to spam was charging for email, can you imagine if your ISP suddenly started billing you for every email that went through their servers, anyone who's computer was being used as a spam bot would suddenly get a very big bill for the millions of spams they send, then they'd make damn sure they had proper malware protection in place...

Pine Man 10:31 11 Dec 2008

'Although that is widely reported, he apparently never said it'

Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story;-))

Bingalau 12:04 11 Dec 2008

He's still alive isn't he?

Chegs ®™ 12:35 11 Dec 2008

He's still alive isn't he?

Yes,but retired I believe(which some say is very like being dead)

spuds 12:36 11 Dec 2008

Didn't Bill Gates predict that every new Microsoft product would be better than the last!.

spuds 12:39 11 Dec 2008

Apparently Bill Gates as 'retired' from Microsoft, and is now deeply involved in his charities network.

crosstrainer 14:59 11 Dec 2008

I'm retired, and certainly do not feel as if I'm dead!

Forum Editor 23:42 11 Dec 2008

he's just handed over responsibility for the day to day running of the business. It's so he can spend more time on giving money away, and that can't be a bad thing.

He's still the company's chief software architect, and he'll be a power behind the scenes for a long time yet - that's for sure.

spuds 10:44 12 Dec 2008

I do not know if you have seen Bill Gates farewell video, when it shows him cleaning out his Microsoft office contents, loading them into a car, then driving off into the sunset with a fond farewell :O)

Once a businessman, always a businessman perhaps. I know many 'retired' business people, who will never let their reins slack on a company that they started from an acorn, even though they have turned it over to their 'family'. And I suspect Bill Gates is of a similar mould!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?