WARNING!!!!!!!

wolfie3000 03:47 17 Aug 2005

Iv just come from the crucial website to upgrade my memory and i used the activex scanning tool on there site but shock horror it has a virus in it i am spending the night now removing said virus which is C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES\CONSPAWN.EXE

Contains signature of the SPR/Farnaz.A program

i aint happy and wont ever buy anything form them again.

€dstowe 06:46 17 Aug 2005

Have you informed Crucial of this?

If the virus is, indeed, contained in one of their downloads I am certain that they would not be aware of that, would want to remove it immediately and would wish to to everything possible to re-establish their reputation.

wolfie3000 06:49 17 Aug 2005

Yes i did inform them its a bad one too iv lost some data luckily i backed up regulary

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:53 17 Aug 2005

You are totally over-reacting. Conspawn.exe is also part of the GUI used in the scanning or can be part of some spyware. It is not harmful and will there is no need to be 'horrified'. Crucial is one of the most respected and best sites on the net, by not using them it is your loss. It is highly unlikely that you would los any data from this...if it is the spyware and not the GUI programme.

G

wolfie3000 15:53 17 Aug 2005

well it seems to much of a coincedence to me the virus warning came up then i find 2 files corrupted and 3 missing i dont know that much about viruses or spyware but it seems odd one thing happening then the other. i have spent some time thoroughly going over my hard drive with my anti virus and spybot and no other nasties were found.
If it aint anything to worry about and it is a false positive then many others will get the virus warning too, which will put people off using the scanner which in turn could damage crucials reputation.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:52 17 Aug 2005

GANDALF <|:-)> is right, by not going to Crucial again it you who will be missing out.

Crucial UK is probably the best retailer in the computer business in this country. Look through old posts and you will find a wealth of praise heaped upon them.

Forum Editor 19:12 17 Aug 2005

is essential for the operation of the Crucial scan graphic user interface, wolfie3000. It certainly isn't a virus, and has absolutely nothing to do with your corrupted files - that must have happened in some other way.

Other forum users may safely ignore this warning as far as Crucial.com is concerned - they are one of the best online retailers on the Internet, and certainly wouldn't include anything harmful in their online scanner. I've not heard of anyone else getting this 'warning' - which program gave you the alert?

wolfie3000 19:14 17 Aug 2005

It was Antivir.

VoG II 22:25 17 Aug 2005

There is no virus.

I have been to their website many times (including just now), have bought RAM from them, and have found them to be a thoroughly excellent company.

CurlyWhirly 17:08 18 Aug 2005

I also have bought DDR RAM off Crucial in the past on more than one occasion and also found them to offer a first class service.
I never had that CONSPAWN.EXE error message either.

lotvic 00:52 19 Aug 2005

Farnaz.A is a backdoor trojan click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone