Want to save the planet ? Drive faster !

Belatucadrus 12:33 30 Jan 2008

click here
I shall be doing my bit to cut emissions. Wonder if the boys in blue will be impressed by my explanation ?

wiz-king 13:23 30 Jan 2008

No problem - if the government brought out a statutory instrument saying that motors must be made to conform with the UK's maximum speed limit then the manufactures could change the gearing to meet the new emission rules at low speed. Might even go back to only having three gears, that would help cut the transmission losses.

Quickbeam 13:49 30 Jan 2008

"even go back to only having three gears"

Brings back memories of my dad's Vauxhall Victor 101, 3 speed column change, front bench seat, opening quarter lights, floor dip switch, telescopic handbrake.... What a classic, but was as rotten as a pear within 3 years and scrapped!

Forum Editor 15:05 30 Jan 2008

is that one pre-1992 car without a catalytic converter gives out roughly the same toxic emissions as 20 of today's new cars.

Belatucadrus 19:49 30 Jan 2008

I always found it amusing that one of the 2CV driving tree huggers that could be relied upon to pontificate endlessly about the awfulness of the pollution gushing from a sports car was usually guilty of far higher emissions than a 911.

bluto1 21:59 30 Jan 2008

Print yourself a copy of your link, do a bit of speeding, show the police your printed alibi, and post back with the results.

robgf 02:28 31 Jan 2008

"An interesting fact
is that one pre-1992 car without a catalytic converter gives out roughly the same toxic emissions as 20 of today's new cars".

It would be interesting to see how much of that improvement is down to the catalytic converter and how much is caused by the improvements in engine management, which has produced engines that burn the fuel more efficiently.

Another point is that catalytic converters don't do much until they are warmed up, which is why modern cars stink, if you get stuck behind them for the first mile, or so.

There are also worries about the health effects of pollution caused by particles of platinum, palladium, and rhodium, spread across cities by catalytic converters.
There was a recent article in New Scientist (or it could have been Focus), about a researcher who was looking into "sweeping" up the platinum dust, for recycling, as stocks of this rare metal are being seriously depleted by use in catalytic converters.

Finally, mining these rare metals for use in catalytic converters, produces a large amount of pollution itself.

So catalytic converters may not be as eco friendly as they first appear.

jack 08:30 31 Jan 2008

It is a fact as as I can recall that vehicles using unleaded fuel are less efficient thane a leaded fuel vehicle.
This is because lead in fuel controls the burn rate and therefore more ' work' is obtained for a given volume
Use unleaded the lead pollutant is removed but CO2 in increased because more fuel is consumed for the same 'work'- Thus the oil will run out sooner.
You can't win here
The only sure way to spin out oil and reduce pollution is to stay at home more, with the heating off and three woollies on, :-}

Stuartli 10:26 03 Feb 2008

The AA has, it would appear, "discovered" a fact that has been common knowledge for many years i.e. increased vehicle emissions in slow moving traffic; there are others such as engines first operating from cold, lack of routine servicing etc.

Stuartli 17:49 03 Feb 2008

Lead was mainly used in fuel to prevent the valve seals being burned as it acted as a form of lubricant - modern vehicles have hardened seals to prevent this occurring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?