A walk of fear - not for the fainthearted..:-)

Stuartli 18:21 29 Apr 2008

If you have a queasy stomach, this might not be a video you should watch (don't forget the sound and full screen):

click here

Some background notes:

"El Caminito del Rey (The King's Pathway) is a walkway, now fallen into disrepair, pinned along the steep walls of a narrow gorge in El Chorro, near Álora in Málaga, Spain.

"The walkway has gone many years without maintenance and is in a highly deteriorated and dangerous state. It is only one metre in width, and over a 700-metre fall and, over time it has also lost its handrail.

"Some parts of the walkway have completely collapsed and have been replaced by a beam and a metallic wire on the wall. Many people have lost their lives on the walkway in recent years.

"After four people died in two accidents in 1999 and 2000, the local government closed the entrances. However, adventurous tourists still find their way into the walkway."

Forum Editor 18:29 29 Apr 2008

still find their way into the walkway"

Thus demonstrating that apparently ordinary people are occasionally capable of acts of extreme stupidity.

Legolas 18:32 29 Apr 2008

Couldn't agree more surely to attempt this walkway is bordering on lunacy. It looks as if it could collapse at any time.

John B 18:39 29 Apr 2008

Splendid!

Mr Mistoffelees 18:45 29 Apr 2008

They really must put stronger locks on the asylum doors.

Forum Editor 18:48 29 Apr 2008

volunteer rescue crews have to risk their personal safety getting people down when they get stuck, and can't go forward or back.

The Spanish authorities should do the sensible thing and make it impossible for fools to access what remains of the walkway.

Bingalau 19:38 29 Apr 2008

Who built such a stairway to heaven in the first place?

justme 19:47 29 Apr 2008

I can't quite make up my mind about whether or not making this video was a good idea or not.

If the idea was to show how dangerous it is and discourage people from going there then it is a good video. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that many of the utter nutters who see this video will want to try it for themselves with possible fatal results.

belfman 20:03 29 Apr 2008

The Camino was built in the 1920s so the King of Spain could see the new water pipes that traveled through the lower gorge, carrying water to the costal city of Malaga. Since the king's single visit eighty years ago, the Camino has fallen into disrepair—huge pieces are missing, and metal supports are nearly rusted through or broken.

...as taken from link.

amonra 20:26 29 Apr 2008

I wonder what those brown stains on the concrete are ?????????

peter99co 21:18 29 Apr 2008

I kept telling myself the camera must have survived for me to see the the video.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?