The waiting's over.......

Forum Editor 20:49 03 Dec 2007

It's been a tense time, wondering who would carry off the 2007 Turner Prize, but now the winner can be revealed - it's Mark Wallinger.

Mark's exhibit, the one that clinched it as far as the judges were concerned, was

"Sleeper (2004-05), a film of a performance in which, over a period of 10 nights, he dressed in a bear suit and wandered aimlessly around an art gallery in Berlin, startling unsuspecting passers-by."

What fun he must have had, startling those unsuspecting passers-by. Never mind, I'm sure they're all delighted that they played an active (if somewhat terrified) part in helping Mark to clinch that £25,000 prize.

anskyber 20:59 03 Dec 2007

I'm struggling here to comment.

I think there is great mileage in much modern art, many of the now recognised top artists (including Constable and many others) were derided in their time.

I must be getting old because I'm finding it harder to see the artistic relevance of some contemporary offerings.

interzone55 21:06 03 Dec 2007

I think you've been misled.

Mark Wallinger's winning exhibit is State Britain, his recreation of Brian Haw's Iraq war protest outside the Houses of Parliament.

anskyber 21:13 03 Dec 2007
  I am Spartacus 21:15 03 Dec 2007
  realist 21:17 03 Dec 2007

I think many will have been misled on this.

I think the State Britain thing, though well intentioned, was too much like Tracey Emin's Bed of 1999 when she lost out on the prize.

The Bear, by itself, would have been a more original and prize-worthy entry imo.

normski47 21:20 03 Dec 2007

I'm struggling here to comment.

Me to.

Earthsea 21:48 03 Dec 2007

I think it's a shame that something that could be a celebration of contemporary art is seen simply, and rightly, as an annual joke. I fail to see how British art benefits from it, although obviously the winner does. If decent art was entered then artists and everyone else would benefit.

ventanas 22:15 03 Dec 2007

Sorry, but I just cannot comment on this, except that I see this, and most other contemporary art as an absolute load of utter rubbish, and I am at a complete loss as to who on earth can see anything of value in this trash.

Forum Editor 22:37 03 Dec 2007

I don't think I was misled - the exhibit in the Turner prize exhibition was the film I mentioned.

If I was indeed misled, I wasn't alone - this is from 'The Times', no less:

"Mark Wallinger, 48, from Chigwell in Essex, received a £25,000 cheque last night for Sleeper, in which he wanders aimlessly around a gallery long after closing time — pacing the floor dressed in synthetic fur, looking out at passers-by and occasionally disappearing from sight."

The Tate - who really know their stuff, and wouldn't dream of saying anything ludicrously pretentious - said that there were parallels between Wallinger and the Berlin gallery, and Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel: “Both artists were interested in transforming spaces.”

Gosh! There was me - in my ignorance - thinking it was all a massive leg-pull on the part of Mr. Wallinger, but all along he wasn't wandering around like a fool in a bear suit, he was transforming a space, just like old Michelangelo used to do.

bluto1 22:44 03 Dec 2007

And I agree wholeheartedly with ventanas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone