Voice-recognition poll

PC Advisor 12:05 26 Oct 2011

Do you think voice-recognition services like Apple's Siri will really change the way we interact with computers now, or is this still just science fiction?

Have your say in our poll here.

Covergirl 12:18 26 Oct 2011

Depends on how well its marketed.

Tablet PCs didn't do so well a few years ago, but look what happened when Apple tried it with the iPad - obviously the iPhone paved the way for it.

Nothing much happened with Microsofts attempts in various Office versions - I did try it but the novelty wore off.

I'll vote "Not Sure". Funny, the only 2 votes cast are for Not Sure and they make up 50% of the votes . . . ????

Now I have voted, there are a total of 3 votes in all categories which make up 67% . . . . ????

Covergirl 12:21 26 Oct 2011

Glad I got a screencap of that before it went back to 2 votes . . . ?????

spuds 12:32 26 Oct 2011

Perhaps off subject, but I recall many years ago, when I was visiting the local PC World store, that a representative from Dragon was doing a special promotion. His pitch was that voice recognition, like Dragon, was positively going to be the way forward!.

wiz-king 12:38 26 Oct 2011

I have had voice reconition on my computer for several years, it took a lot of trying microphones to find one that worked properly and even now it sometimes picks up noises off. Might be ok in a quiet area but not in a busy office.

Covergirl 12:41 26 Oct 2011

On second thoughts, voice recognition is gaining more acceptance with these ridiculous handsfree headsets/earpieces taxi drivers and reps appear to be using these days, so perhaps we're not too far off . . . ????

(Sorry, had to drop that one in)

Matt Egan 14:03 26 Oct 2011

I once demonstrated voice-recognition on Working Lunch. On live TV. I still wake up screaming. The simple sentences I got Declan Curry to say kept coming out as gibberish and - worse - swear words. ON THE BBC. The only part of this experience that doesn't fill me with horror is the fact that I coined the phrase 'never work with children, animals and voice-recognition software'. Siri seems to be a massive improvement on previous VR technology, but it needs to be. Voice is only better than touch if it works perfectly, every time, and you don't feel silly shouting at a computer...

SimpleSimon1 14:14 26 Oct 2011

wiz-king

Might be ok in a quiet area but not in a busy office

Interestingly enough, I was recently at a very early demo of a voice-controlled engineering diagnostics package for ships turbines. The package is designed to be used by fitters/mech engineers whilst they're working on the turbines, with an ambient noise level far in excess of what you'd find in an office or on a London street.

Much to everyone's surprise, it was achieving a recognition level of around 75%. It certainly wasn't perfect and used a defined set of input commands and control phrases so I'll leave it for someone else to decide whether it was proper voice recognition. It also used some very fancy (i.e. expensive) highly-directional audio equipment to filter out the background noise. Nevertheless, it would appear that the technology is moving forward at a significant rate and let's face it, thanks to Android and IoS, people are getting more used to simple voice control of peripherals. Mind you, I still think it will be quite a while before you can say to your phone "find the phone number of the hot guy/gal in the office and give them a ring" :-)

bjh 14:31 26 Oct 2011

I use Dragon for much of my work, two different jobs with different requirements. Job 1: Medico-scientific reporting... Works wonders, allows very fast transcription of results of experiments & tests, accuracy as near 100%, far better than my passable typing, and leaves hands free for the paperwork (forms still arrive in ye olde style). Job 2: science writing... even better, allows me to use a bluetooth headset and simply talk freely. I can even work while doing menial tasks, or gardening. I used to use Viavoice (and Voice Express - which has never been bettered for browsing the internet by voice... amazing experience), but their recognition is poor compared to current-day Dragon (and, in the case of Voice Express, modern browsers aren't supported).

My phone, my bedside radio, each do as I tell them.

Now, if only they made a voice-recognition command system for my wife, I'd be all set.

bremner 18:55 26 Oct 2011

I used Siri the other day to text my wife - I said "will ride Saby at 4 o clock"

Siri typed "died sadly at 4 o clock" it was not sent.

VR has a long way to go!

daz60 19:00 26 Oct 2011

If this is the same as predictive text on phones,,,,then it is no wonder i do not have friends.!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?