Vista Launch contest...

Simsy 12:34 09 Feb 2006

as per the news...

Great first prize;

1st Prize: Trip for one person to the official launch event of Windows Vista, return flight, economy class, 3 nights in a 4-star hotel (breakfast included) and the entry to the launch event.

Wow! I don't think!

Economy flights... and find your own accomodation after the first 3 nights.

Good luck!

Regards,

Simsy

Chegs ®™ 15:07 09 Feb 2006

Hmnn,excuse me for being ever so slightly underwhelmed by this as ...

A)Vista is not going to be high on my list of "must have" software

B)Its for one person,and I have a family so I'd need to cough-up for them to go too.

ade.h 15:10 09 Feb 2006

Presumably the launch "event" is in Seattle; in which case it's economy class all the way to the West Coast! Ooh, what fun. DVT guaranteed!

But, hey, we musn't be churlish. Someone gets to be invited to one of Bill's Bashes!

dmc727 16:44 09 Feb 2006

The sad point about the prize is that it is only for one – do MS really think computer users are such geeks they wouldn’t know what to do with someone on their arm.!!!

Seattle (HQ of MS) seems such a low key place for such a fanfare – XP was launched in New York where big money and business resides. Wherever held it will be just in time for Santa Claus me thinks.

Recall when XP was launched there was universal poo-pooing of the program and now it is a main stay. Suspect the same will happen with Vista.

Forum Editor 22:29 09 Feb 2006

Precisely the same thing will happen with Vista.

I also recall the avalanche of "Not me, I'm not touching Windows XP with a ten-foot pole" posts which arrived in the forum every time XP was mentioned prior to launch.

Now it's widely accepted as the best operating system Microsoft have so far produced.

I've been testing Vista ever since the beta was released, and I predict two things:-

1. Avalanches of "over my dead body" comments whenever Vista is mentioned over the Spring and Summer.

2. Sales in the first year will be huge.

That's just the way it is.

ade.h 22:53 09 Feb 2006

As a traditional early adopter of new MS operating systems, the only thing that you're likely to read from me in December is "I wish I could buy it, but my spec's not up to scratch and I only upgraded a year ago!!"

SG Atlantis® 23:29 09 Feb 2006

The recommended spec for Vista will be?

I generally save the pennies and buy a new system every year, beats ugrading and swopping parts about.

As for the contest I'd rather have the second or third prize... the xbox 360 consoles.

Forum Editor 07:10 10 Feb 2006

Microsoft launches are actually very entertaining - they look after you very well.

dmc727 10:21 10 Feb 2006

SG Atlantis®. This is what I make of it.

I’ve read accounts from those testing the beta version but not seen much feedback about their PC being underpowered. From that I glean the program will run on average PC spec, however, seems the better the parts the better the performance when reading the below.

Bits picked out of Microsoft Vista site -

Processor (CPU). The lower end of the current processor range will work but you need better to justify program. If upgrading in near future consider 64-bit processor.

Memory. At least 512 MB of RAM, but that is basic minimum.

Graphics. Works on lower spec but if changing look at a GPU that supports DirectX 9 and has at least 64 MB of graphics memory.

Storage. Again works on lower spec but a (SATA) drive with an 8 MB cache and Native Command Queuing (NCQ) recommended if upgrading.

Guidelines:click here

Windows Vista Hardware: click here

lamda 11:39 10 Feb 2006

add to my postings

rmcqua 14:10 10 Feb 2006

Missed the news. What does one have to do to get entered into this contest with the non-prize?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer