Vista cuts off broadband users

octal 19:06 03 Mar 2007

click here

It's bit strong isn't it? I didn't think you needed any disks to register your connection? I've done it lots of times on the old NTL and had no problems, anyway I can't use the disks on my system because they don't work.

Totally-braindead 19:17 03 Mar 2007

Until I bought a new internal modem and had to work out how to set it up manually I had no idea how to do it either. I would imagine most PC users have never done the likes of this before and are therefore lost because they can't connect. So taking that into account it could be classed as a big deal.
Vista has been coming for ages, everyone knew about it. Any problems anyone has because the software doesn't work with Vista is as far as I am concerned down to whoever creates the disks in the first place.
Its the same situation as the lack of proper drivers for Nvidia graphics cards.
All these companies knew Vista was coming and should have had updated support in place. They clearly didn't.
The trouble is a lot of people will blame Microsoft, who aren't my favourite people but aren't to blame for this as far as I can see.

octal 19:26 03 Mar 2007

Quite right, no blame attached to Microsoft, but I think the title of the article was a bit strong when Vista has been around in Beta form for some time and companies seem to have left it till the last minute and have been caught with their pants down so's to speak when this should have been sorted long ago, the title seems to suggest it's Vista's fault when it's not.

To be fair, on cable the first thing you see when you register is the (still) NTL registration screen and it's always been like that, I'm not sure if it's the same if you are using a modem.

Kate B 19:58 03 Mar 2007

I've already said on another thread that I think that headline is misleading and should be changed. The story is about another driver issue, it's nothing to do with Vista as such.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone