Visiting peak district

VNAM75 19:56 14 Sep 2009

I'm looking for recommendations of places for walking and cycling. I've been to Dovedale before and enjoyed it but don't really know about much else in the peak district.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 14 Sep 2009

click here Monsal Dale

Quickbeam 20:25 14 Sep 2009

How long have you got? I've been visiting the Peak district since '72 and still keep finding new walks, my favourite though is click here and if you've got all day to spare click here

VNAM75 20:38 14 Sep 2009

Fruit Bat, that looks good. Quickbeam, it is just a day visit, max 5 hours, so not long. Thanks for the links.

Quickbeam 21:30 14 Sep 2009

Burbage Valley is a bikeable circular route click here with the site of an iron Age fort on the high ground... I always see it as Tolkien's Weathertop though:)

Jak_1 21:40 14 Sep 2009

I live in Manchester and used to go hiking in the Peak District whenever I could. There are exelent facilities in Edale at the foot of the southside of Kinder Scout. There are two campsites, two pubs and the Mountain Rescue Centre there. It would be a shame to miss The Blue John mines at Castleton at the bottom end of the Winnates Pass not far from Edale, also at Castleton is Peveril Castle.

click here

click here

click here

The area is ideal for both walking and cycling.

SimpleSimon1 23:08 14 Sep 2009

I've been walking and climbing in the Peaks for many years and, personally, I'll take it over the Lake District anytime.

It would help to know where you'll be arriving, what your level of confidence is, do you prefer high-level or low-level, are you equipped for high-level bad weather walking and do you want to be alone or with a lot of other walkers.

Personally, I always base myself in Eyam since it gives easy access to the Hathersage/Stannage Edge, Edale/Kinder, Castleton/Great Ridge/Mam Tor, Ladybower and Curber areas. It also provides **very** easy access (less than 10 mins) to Abney and Eyam Moors which IMHO are much underated and, as a result, tend to be quiet.

Quickbeams Curber/Froggat Edge walk is nice but will be busy on the weekend and is a bit of a motorway cos so many people go there. Kinder Edge can be done in four hours or so but in this time, I would stick to an Edge route (probably via Ringing Roger or Jacobs Ladder) and not try and include the Downfall and stuff on the North side. Also, Kinder can be absolutely miserable if the weather closes (and it does frequently). Also, if you're on limited time, you can waste quite a bit of it just getting to Edale!

Personally, I would seriously consider walking above Ladybower Resevoir, on Derwent Edge. Park at either the North or South end of the resevoir, get up onto the Edge and spend a hour or so walking along it seeing things like the Wheel Stones, the Salt Cellar the Cakes of Bread, Dovestone Tor etc, enjoying the fantastic views and then drop back down through forestry land to the resevoir. I'd do it from the North end and ascend across the Moor by Green Stiches because IMHO that's a more interesting ascent.

Alternatively, a sprint along the Great Ridge from Win Hill or Loose Hill to Mam Tor and beyond is also a nice way to spend a few hours. It get's a bit busy around Mam Tor but thins out as soon as you get away from it.

Drop me a PM if you want more detail and/or are interested in specific routes since I'd hate to bore forum browsers more than I've probably already done with this mail :-)

Enjoy

Eargasm 23:15 14 Sep 2009

I'm in Glossop Derbyshire just on the edge of the Peak District and there are some fabulous places as others have linked.

Upper Derwent, Ladybower Reservoir ( where they shot some of the famous " Dam Busters" )is well worth a visit some great walks and cycle routes.

click here

Eargasm 23:19 14 Sep 2009

You ain't lived until you have been down Jacobs Ladder on a mountain bike!

VNAM75 23:21 14 Sep 2009

Very good suggestions, thanks. I'm going on wednesday and I'm taking someone who is not very keen on sports and probably scared of heights, so the options are slightly limited!

VNAM75 23:34 14 Sep 2009

Eargasm, do I start at the visitor centre at Fairholmes? I'm a keen cyclist and may go there next time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?