Visa for USA

  n4165si 13:34 04 Aug 2008

You used to have to obtain a Visa to Holiday in the United States, is this still the case as a European citizen.

  bstb3 13:55 04 Aug 2008

The US still operates it's Visa waiver program (although eventually it will stop it, it has tried to before but it keeps getting postponed).

In a nutshell if you have a UK passport which has either Biometric data on it (a new one) or one of the older ones with machine readable strips then you are eligble to get into the US without a Visa. There are other conditions though (purpose of visit, if you have a return ticket to get out again, duration of stay etc). The links below will help :).

Wizzard to see if your eligble for the Visa Waiver program:
click here

US Embassy in London:
click here

When you say European passport, it needs to be from one of the following countries (not all Europe I know) or else you will need a visa:

Citizens of the following countries: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Again there are other conditions, so check you are eligible with the above links.

  bstb3 13:57 04 Aug 2008

and that should be wizard, not wizzard ;) before the spelling police get me (im already a fugitive from the punctuation and grammer police)

  n4165si 14:19 04 Aug 2008

Thank you for your response and links ,i will get my Grandson to apply for the waiver,thanks again

  bstb3 14:34 04 Aug 2008

glad to help, but the visa waiver is not something that need be applied for. You just need to make (absoloutely) sure that it applies to you before departure to the US. There is a little form you need to fill in on the plane (or boat I suppose) but thats just basic stuff (name, address, passport ID & a few assorted questions like if you qualify for the waiver Scheme, criminal record etc).

US immigration is tough though, so if in doubt check with the embassy first.

Hope your grandson has a good time over there.

  natdoor 14:39 04 Aug 2008

Scarper quick before the spelling police get you. "Grammer" should be "Grammar". You are in good company.I have seen this spelling on a BBC bews item.

  User2008 15:51 04 Aug 2008

bews item?

We're all guilty.

  Bapou 15:51 04 Aug 2008

You would be surprised at the number of British holdaymakers travelling to the USA filling in their waiver form who enter Country of Birth, as, Great Britain, England - Scotland etc instead of United Kingdom.

Then imagine their surprise when given a new form to fill in just before landing!

  Bingalau 18:46 04 Aug 2008

I would insist that my country of birth is, and always has been England. There is no such country as the United Kingdom. (Disunited sounds more like it). I'm as proud of being English as the Scots are of being Scottish, or even of the Yanks being American. If they wouldn't accept me because I am English then so be it, I would quite happily come home again and spend my hard earned spondulicks here.

  So Afraid 20:27 04 Aug 2008

I try to put English on every form i fill in, but its hard to find the opurtunity to do that now,i am supposed to tick the british box.

  spuds 20:55 04 Aug 2008

If you haven't got the 'proper' entitlement or documents on arrival in the good old USA, then may I suggest that you go via Miami. The airport lock-up plus coffee they serve there is first rate. The company can be as well ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?