Virgin BB Premium Rate Calls are now Free

Proclaimer 19:22 04 Apr 2008

and this is what they said...
'Well, we always try to listen to what our customers tell us, and you told us that you didn't think the premium rate call charge for our technical support helpline was right. So we we decided to do something about it.
That's why we¹re dropping the 25p per minute charge to call our broadband technical support line.
From 1st June, we¹re replacing it with a number that's free to call from your Virgin Media phone, plus a separate, local rate number if you call from any other phone. That means that now you can get the help and support you need, totally free, just like you asked!'

Just thought I would share that because so many members bash Virgin on this one.

Bingalau 20:17 04 Apr 2008

I got the e-mail about this, and am pleased about it. so far though I haven't had any need to call them. I hope I haven't spoken too soon?

georgemac © 07:48 05 Apr 2008

There are two ways to look at this.

1. Very good move by Virgin, listen to customers and stop that nasty premium rate helpline, although 25p per minute is not too bad.

2. Virgin still have the helpline costs, so increase the price of their services to cover the missing income form the support line. Every virgin customer then pays for the technical support line, whether they use it or not.

The virgin service is not available to me, but I have never had the need of the technical support helpline, and have a tendency to think those that need it (a lot because they can't read the instructions) should pay for it.

Forum Editor 08:28 05 Apr 2008

if they hadn't introduced the premium rate charge in the first place?

It's all very well to say "'Well, we always try to listen to what our customers tell us....", but it might be an idea to think about such things in advance. It wouldn't have needed a brain the size of a planet to work out that customers would not like having to pay at premium rates, simply to get technical help with the service they're already paying for.

I'm underwhelmed, I'm afraid.

User-1235809 09:13 05 Apr 2008

The only time I have had to call technical help was when the fault was at their end, so yes I did object strongly to having to pay for it, especially as you are generally put on hold with inane messages so they can generate even more money.

I am not a computer expert, but know enough to come to a forum like this, where the help is better, and free as well

AlanHo 21:10 05 Apr 2008

About a month ago I had the need to report a brodband problem which I was sure was being caused by a faulty router, The Virgin helpline did some tests - confirmed it was a faulty router - changed some settings to keep me going - and posted a relacement straight away.

They made it clear that as it was a Virgin fault I would not be charged for the 16 minute call.

I would call that good customer service.

Legolas 21:15 05 Apr 2008

Now maybe I am being very cynical but perhaps they introduced the call charge knowing they would be an outcry and then drop it saying how good the are at listening to their customers and making themselves look good...

Lio 22:52 05 Apr 2008

I too had to call the helpline regarding a problem which turned out to be a modem fault. They replaced it straight away and made it clear that as the fault was with their equipment, they would refund the call costs. That seemed fair enough to me!

brundle 02:43 06 Apr 2008

When the service operated under the Blueyonder banner the helpline was free and there was also a free dial-up number which any broadband customers could use to access the internet when BB was down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone