Vinyl LP’s valuations query

Blackhat 18:00 29 Jun 2011

I have been on many web sites through google searches but cannot find a site that lists many of the LP’s I am looking to value.

Since my brother past away last week I have inherited a very large vinyl collection, mostly blues and reggae from 60’s to 80’s. I am able to find about a third of them on various sites but some are just a bit too rare.

Does anyone have any recommendations or is there an easily available book/mag that is very comprehensive.

Proclaimer 18:32 29 Jun 2011

[Record Collector magazine][1]

[1]: http://www.recordcollectormag.com/ may be able to help.

the hick 19:24 29 Jun 2011

Maybe have a look on well-known online auction site, a couple of mates have sold several 1970's vinyl albums there, blues and rock. They do need to be in good condition, and don't forget to add in P&P! Good luck.

the hick 19:25 29 Jun 2011

Maybe have a look on well-known online auction site, a couple of mates have sold several 1970's vinyl albums there, blues and rock. They do need to be in good condition, and don't forget to add in P&P! Good luck.

interzone55 20:36 29 Jun 2011

Take a look at Discogs, a kind of Wikipedia for music fans, all the content is user generated but peer reviewed, so is pretty accurate.

Most records have a link to copies available on Ebay, so from here you can usually gauge values.

Discogs

Covergirl 12:35 30 Jun 2011

On each and every LP, you'll find a catalogue number. If they are worth anything at all, they'll be catalogued somewhere, so just type this catalogue number into your search engine.

Be careful how you type it in though. For some reason EKS-75039 gives lots of links to Ex Dallas football players (I think that's what they are) whereas EKS75039 comes back with Atomic Rooster - Made in England 1972 worth about £40. I might sell it someday.

Crosstrainer2 13:05 30 Jun 2011

This shop is the best I have found for valuations, they do nothing but rare stuff. Worth giving them a ring:

link text

wee eddie 16:06 30 Jun 2011

Unfortunately for most of us, most records are worth little more than the cost of Postage, unless both the Record and its Cover are in mint condition. Very much in the same way as Toys, once they have been got out of the package their value drops sharply, unless they are extremely rare.

I once had a cassette, on which was a copy of of a tape made by a group of, soon to be famous, young Liverpudlian Rockers in a grotty Hamburg Hotel Room, with several of their friends from other groups who were in town at the time. It was almost "a Capella" except for a single Bongo and a couple of un-amplified Guitars. One evening someone recorded over it. Pity, it sounded as if John and Paul were there. Probably would have been worth a fortune now.

Blackhat 17:33 30 Jun 2011

Covergirl That sounds like a good idea, I will give it a go later.

Thans for the other suggestions folks, I have my work cut out now, only about 300 to sort out.

rickf 12:43 01 Jul 2011

Also very important to find out if it's a first pressing. A few years ago I sold a first pressing LP for £256 and the 2nd albulm by the same artist for £180. Hope this wets your appetite to research properly.

spuds 23:27 01 Jul 2011

It's an American website, but it might give you an idea as to values www.popsike.com

Amazon also have a number of latest prices record value books. There is a 2012 issue for collectors just been released.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?