victims of blackmail

sunny staines 16:27 29 Oct 2007

should the victim of blackmail be prosecuted or sacked from his employment if it has a no drugs policy if it is proved he suppled drugs? class A.

Pine Man 16:38 29 Oct 2007

If the victim broke the rules it is irrelevant how it came to notice - unforunate but completely irrelevant.

Is it not similar to being the innocent party in a road crash, driving perfectly, but being found to have excess alcohol in your body?

natdoor 16:39 29 Oct 2007

I would support dismissal regardless of a no drugs policy or of blackmail for any proven case of supplying drugs.

Pine Man 16:39 29 Oct 2007

...unfortunate. Should use the spellchecker!

lisa02 16:41 29 Oct 2007

Yes.

If someone commits a crime and someone else blackmails them about it, then both have committed crimes. Both should be punished.

And secondly if you break the terms of your employment contract you deserve the boot.

Forum Editor 17:54 29 Oct 2007

many people use the word to describe acts that are not technically blackmail at all.

I might accuse you of blackmailing me into buying you a drink if you say that unless I stand the next round you'll tell all my friends that I'm a skinflint. That's not blackmail in the criminal sense, and I would have a hard time trying to prove to the police that it was.

Usually, blackmail is defined as the making of an unwarranted demand with menaces, and the person who makes the demand can escape a charge of blackmail if he/she can show that he/she had reasonable (that word again) grounds for making the demand, and that the use of menaces was a proper means of reinforcing the demand. In practice that's quite difficult, unless you're a debt collector, for instance, in which case you may threaten court action if a debt isn't paid. That would be considered a proper means of reinforcing your demand, and would not therefore be blackmail.

If the person in your case was supplying class A drugs it wouldn't matter what the company policy was - he has committed a criminal offence, and that alone would almost certainly be grounds for dismissal if he was convicted. I'm not quite clear how blackmail comes into the equation.

sunny staines 19:06 29 Oct 2007

I agree with the comments if you get involved in crime you are at risk not only from the law but other criminals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?