A very strange phone call

Condom 18:07 06 Nov 2008

I just received a very strange phone call 5 minutes ago. "Hello this is BT and we are sorry we cannot speak with you right now" So why call? "It may be possible to prevent calls like this is the future and if you would like to do so" at which point I hung up.

My number is already on the TPS list so it looks like BT has joined the ranks of many other companies who seem to totally ignore the TPS list when cold calling.

Pineman100 18:11 06 Nov 2008

Sounds a bit like putting up a sign that reads "Do not throw stones at this sign".

WhiteTruckMan 18:13 06 Nov 2008

You have been contacted by the British Tomfoolery society. Or it might have been anyone with the initials BT.

WTM

Pamy 18:48 06 Nov 2008

I think you should have listend to the whole message. It was an example of an unwanted call and they would maybe have told you how to avoide it in the future.

Legolas 18:51 06 Nov 2008

I agree I wish they would phone me and let me know. I am registered with the TPS but still get the nuisance calls

Pamy 18:56 06 Nov 2008

It may well only be to advise you to register with the TPS, but unless you listen you will not know

MCE2K5 19:24 06 Nov 2008

I keep getting these same calls from BT, Eventualy they leave a message, They are trying to sell you BT Vision, Just ignore them, I do.

laurie53 19:37 06 Nov 2008

They keep asking me if I have broadband (shouldn't they know?) and if so who with.

I keep telling them it's none of their business!

birdface 19:57 06 Nov 2008

Since I registered with TPS I have hardly ever had any unwanted calls.What you are supposed to do is to tell them that you want taken off their call register.And if they call you again you can complain to I think TPS or someone like that and they will get fined.

TopCat® 21:25 06 Nov 2008

I'm already registered with TPS quite some time ago but lately I've been getting what I think are market survey calls out of the blue. Once I hear the person say "I'm not trying to sell you anything" then I politely ring off. The last time, today, I was able to get their number so have lodged a complaint at TPS. TC.

oresome 21:43 06 Nov 2008

I have three lines of defence.

I am registered with the TPS.

I do not answer calls before the answering machine kicks in and I can monitor who it is.

I do not buy anything as a result of a cold call.

I adopt various strategies with doorstep callers, depending on my frame of mind and whether I'm half way through my meal, but the overriding rule is that I do not purchase anything or accept anything free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie