Vegetarian Etiquette

laurie53 07:45 29 May 2007

If a vegetarian comes to my house for dinner contemporary etiquette suggests that I supply a vegetarian meal.

However, if I go to a veggie's house they are not expected to supply me with any dead animal products.

Why?

This is not a dig at vegetarians and vegetarianism, some of my best friends etc. etc., just genuine puzzlement at modern mores.

wee eddie 08:05 29 May 2007

Although a Vegetarian does not really qualify as a Herbivore, their diet is bound about by limitations.

Your's are not, had you only been able to eat a particular product, I'm sure that they would oblige.

Kate B 08:27 29 May 2007

Good question, laurie53, and spot-on answer, wee eddie! I think most people when cooking for friends do go to quite a lot of trouble to make sure they don't put anything on the menu that someone doesn't like/doesn't eat.

Quickbeam 08:28 29 May 2007

There are of course plenty of tasty meals that don't contain meat. If it's good 'n tasty you don't think about what's in it. There's good & bad cooks from both camps.

wee eddie 08:47 29 May 2007

As many of you will know. I have run a Restaurant since 1980, although recently retired much of my experience remains valid.

We discovered that if you put a sign by an Item on the Menu indicating that it was a Vegetarian Option. Sales of that Item fell radically.

If you, as we did, indicate the main ingredients of each dish and make no other comment. Sales of the, so called, Vegetarian Items are similar to almost all the other items.

In other words: Giving a Dish a Vegetarian tag reduces the number of people willing to try it.

Quickbeam 09:02 29 May 2007

"If you, as we did, indicate the main ingredients of each dish and make no other comment. Sales of the, so called, Vegetarian Items are similar to almost all the other items.

In other words: Giving a Dish a Vegetarian tag reduces the number of people willing to try it."

That's interesting, I'll try most things with an appetizing description of it's own right. But never have 'vegetarian' sausages, lasagne, burgers etc... they masquerade as something they're not.

anskyber 09:47 29 May 2007

It's not about being able to eat a particular product it's through choice. I eat veggie food in veggie houses but I see no reason why meat should not be served.

A veggie coming to my house will be served veggie food out of respect for their choice of food; veggies should offer the same "respect" to meat eaters.

Humans are omnivores by evolution, we have the teeth and digestive system of an omnivore. Veggies can at times appear to be evangelical about others peoples choices and rather PC about what others should eat.

MrNerdy 10:07 29 May 2007

As a veggie i will cook a meat dish for friends when they come round, but as i dont do it often most friends stick with the veggie meal as they know i cook them so well.

It's often how you go about something like this. I dont protest when someone is eating a non-veggie meal nor do i suggest they dont.

dagbladet 10:33 29 May 2007

Was once on a charter flight sitting right at the very back of the plane. By the time the in-flight meals got to me there was only the veggie option left. I had the mandatory whinge "i'll never fly with you lot again" etc, but being absolutely starving reluctantly accepted the proffered ""hippy slop". Needless to say whatever was in the little tin foil box was the nicest stuff i've ever had on a plane. Fair enough It could have done with a sprinkling of Lamb chop, but I lapped up every bit. I was somewhat sheepish though when 'Marco' returned to collect the trays, "forced it down then sir" he lisped , with a raised eyebrow and more than a touch of venom.

Kate B 10:37 29 May 2007

One trick worth noting next time you fly - order a special meal - veggie, vegan, whatever. You'll get served first, it will be hot and it will be a lot nicer than the sludge with indeterminate meat served up to the rest of the cabin. If you're flying Qantas, I particularly recommend ordering the Asian vegetarian option: it's usually a really nice veg curry.

i was engaged to a vegan for 8 years, i trained as a chef and now find a lot of vegan meals i learnt to cook are a lot more tasty than the classic british meat and two veg.
i also found the best place for vegan restuarants seemed to be in this country namely the lake district.
dont know if this is still the case im talking about the 90's.
i always hating dining at friends as i felt we were putting them out, indeed the invites stopped however that was probaly due to my behavior, would you invite oliver reed to dinner?
i always thought my fiancee looked pasty and a little ill, personally i think we're designed as meat eaters, but stick mainly to white meats and fish myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?