VC10 Last Training Flight Today

flycatcher1 12:15 20 Sep 2013

If anyone is interested the last training flight of the RAF VC10 takes place today. Forty-eight years service is not too bad.

Macscouse 13:07 20 Sep 2013

I was in Aden in 1963, and watched as this plane took off. To us, it was amazing when it climbed and banked, and was gone. It was on proving flights then, I was told by the RAF bods. The Britannia I had flown out on went down in my estimation, there and then, although I still had to fly home in one.

spuds 13:59 20 Sep 2013

I seem to recall my first VC10 flight was from Singapore to the UK in 1969, via every desert hole, made up airstrip and 'international airport' on the way, and thought it was more 'prestige' than the Boeing 707. Then came along the Boeing 747, which was even more 'prestige'!.

johndrew 14:05 20 Sep 2013

The first one I flew on was from Salisbury (Rhodesia) to Nairobi care of BOAC - after a 24 hour delay for an engine module change - at my own expense. I enjoyed it then and when the RAF got their 'moon rockets' I found them far better (especially when tour ex) than the Britannia. Unfortunately the Beverley, C130 Hercules and Argosy were often provided as transport.

VCR97 18:59 20 Sep 2013

johndrew

Don't forget the Bristol Vibrator (Freighter). The only aircraft which made me feel sick.

Nontek 19:11 20 Sep 2013

My first VC10 flight was from Singapore to the UK in 1963, via every desert hole, made up airstrip and 'international airport' on the way, (with thanks to spuds for saving me a bit of typing).

morddwyd 19:27 20 Sep 2013

"Unfortunately the Beverley, C130 Hercules and Argosy were often provided as transport."

We always hoped to get a Beverly to fly to Sharjah. Luxury compared with sharing a Twin Pioneer with half a dozen goats (who smelled sweeter than their handler!).

The VC10 has been an excellent workhorse for the RAF, flying on when more glamorous types have long since finished.

flycatcher1 19:36 20 Sep 2013

I should have mentioned, the "Last Flight" today was carried out by Super Vc10s bought from BA or East African and modified for Flight Refuelling etc. The last real RAF VC10, XR 808, was flown to Bruntingthorpe last week.

I am glad that some forum members have good memories of the 10 I certainly have. It was my favourite though the Vulcan came a close second.

spuds 19:56 20 Sep 2013

flycatcher1

I hope now XR808 is at Bruntingthorpe, it doesn't end up like the Vulcan, with a constant stream of wanted donation to keep it airworthy?.

Here's the link to XE808's 'retirement' flight click here were certainly the days - will he make it or won't he?

Nontek

Those

spuds 20:00 20 Sep 2013

Looks like the PCA gremlins are at work again. I'll try again?.

Nontek

Those were certainly the days - will he make it or won't he?.

spuds 20:05 20 Sep 2013

Here's the Bruntingthorpe retirement link, the others not working: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)