Vaughan quits as England captain

Quickbeam 13:51 03 Aug 2008

click here The header says it all.

Personally I think he's been one of the best... But everyone's best comes to an end one day.

tullie 14:36 03 Aug 2008

Apparently he has been Englands best captain?

Quickbeam 14:45 03 Aug 2008

crosstrainer 15:03 03 Aug 2008

Saw this coming....Collingwood has also quit as one day skip, so the question is who next?

KP? (not ready I don't think)

Freddie does not want the job again.

Andrew Strauss I think.

ulrich 16:20 03 Aug 2008

My goodness hardly worth all the time on the news.
Its only a game.

crosstrainer 16:43 03 Aug 2008

Only a game? Maybe, but to cricket fans, these things are important. The media coverage is largely due to the unexpected manner in which the announcment was made.

Kevin Pieterson is the favourite to take control of both one day and test sides...The meeting continues....

day2strike 17:10 03 Aug 2008

Vaughan had to go, sadly his batting is not up to test match standards at the moment, but as a central contracted player i'm sure he will be given time to play county cricket for yorkshire & get some form back, i dont think his england career is over yet.

As for who becomes captain i think it would be wrong to give it to pieterson & think strauss would be better at the job.

kp may feel he would have to be less dynamic by being captain, look what the captaincy did for one ian terrance botham!

Stuartli 13:31 05 Aug 2008

I was somewhat disappointed with the sob, sob bit.

He is, after all, a professional sportsman.....

Quickbeam 13:43 05 Aug 2008

"He is, after all, a professional sportsman....." and a real person.

Some years ago when I left job I liked a lot, but couldn't go along with implimenting the directors wishes, I felt that I had lost a huge part of my life. That took me months to come to terms with.

crosstrainer 15:25 05 Aug 2008

Well, all we can do now is wish Kevin all the best in his new job, and a wholehearted thanks to Michael Vaughan for doing a fantastic job.

Lets hope that his form with the bat returns, and that he may yet play a part in the International squad.

Quickbeam 01:17 06 Aug 2008

"wish Kevin all the best in his new job"

I'm afraid that when he tried to score a flamboyant century with a six while on 94 in front of my eyes at Edgbaston, with the team on the backfoot, no doubt thinking of the great headline he would have got had he pulled it off, most of the crowd would gladly have hanged him from the pavilion clock tower...

So all I can say is that time will tell if he's any good at being captain, he'll have to change his selfish style though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone