Validation 0n a 6 month old PC!

freaky 18:41 11 Aug 2005

I bought a new PC in December last year supplied with XP Home.

July this year I upgraded the Ram from 512MB to 536MB. Two days ago I uninstalled the Pinnacle software supplied with the PC and replaced it with Nero6 Reloaded. Later that day I received a message from Microsoft stating that because the system had changed I needed to validate. I tried to do this by selecting the internet option but could not make a connection, so I clicked 'will try again'. Next morning on boot-up I was told that I had two days left to validate.

This time I used the phone option which is toll free and validated. All this trouble for a minor change to the PC's configuration ! I could appreciate it if I had changed the MOB.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:56 11 Aug 2005

It probably took less than 2 minutes in all. Not much trouble really.

G

Forum Editor 19:43 11 Aug 2005

but hardly "all this trouble". The call was free, and as GANDALF <|:-)> says, it probably took a couple of minutes at most.

Pooke 20:37 11 Aug 2005

*sigh*

That would have been too much hard work for anyone. Did you get plenty of rest afterwards?

sattman 20:44 11 Aug 2005

I am sorry but I am going to have to dissagree , I do not think that our time is of of so little value that a user should have to do this sort of security check for Microsoft each time that a minor change is made to the computer software, more so when in this case the change was not directly related to the windows software.

freaky 20:58 11 Aug 2005

I am afraid that I do not agree with either of you on this. The point of validation is to detect users of 'pirated' copies of the Windows OPS. The fact that you have made MINOR changes to your PC's configuration since it was validated does not warrant Microsofts intrusion.

As you are no doubt aware, if you wish to download Windows updates then you have to first download their validation tool. Once it is installed then it checks your validation before allowing the updates to be downloaded.

In my opinion this should suffice, and any further intrusions are not warranted.

In the example I gave in my initial post on this topic, can you explain what would have resulted to my OPS if the day following Microsofts validation request I had gone away for more than 3 days ??

GaT7 21:10 11 Aug 2005

"In the example I gave in my initial post on this topic, can you explain what would have resulted to my OPS if the day following Microsofts validation request I had gone away for more than 3 days ??"

I think the validation/activation screen would come up when you booted & wouldn't let you proceed further/do anything on the PC until you validated - that's it, nothing else would've happened. G

freaky 21:21 11 Aug 2005

I note you say "I think the validation/activation screen would come up when you booted & wouldn't let you proceed further/do anything on the PC until you validated - that's it, nothing else would've happened. G

Not I know...I hope you are correct in your assumption !!

I will add that for the sake of Microsofts integrity you are probably correct.

GaT7 21:53 11 Aug 2005

No, I don't think (my mistake, sorry) - I KNOW.

It happened to me just 2-3 days after activation. I'd hooked up another hard drive (from my old PC) to copy data across. The next time (or so) when I booted it wouldn't let me enter unless I activated - basically had two options: activate or shut off. Count yourself fortunate mate - you got a 2-day grace - I got NONE!

Have to admit, it was annoying at the time, but I just got on with it. I thought no point getting worked up about something I had no control over. G

Pooke 22:09 11 Aug 2005

Well, since the purchase of my machine in December. I have added a 512mb stick of RAM, changed the configuration of the IDE drives, added another dvd rewriter (I now have three dvd drives installed) and added a TV card and new software.

Not once have I been asked to validate except for when I check for security updates for XP.

Lucky me eh? I'd need to schedule sometime off work, a month in advance incase it did ask me to validate especially over a FREE telephone call.

Pooke

GaT7 22:45 11 Aug 2005

Pooke I think your PC may have “System Locked Pre-installation” or SLP. Read more here click here under 'Product Activation and new pre-loaded PCs'.

The link also contains info that explains why some of us may have differing experiences when it comes to changing hardware & activation/re-activation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone