Usual too little too late ....

Jackcoms 20:23 24 Feb 2007

knee jerk reaction, following yesterday's rail accident click here

tammer 21:54 24 Feb 2007

Yes, let's look out for "ban trains" or "ban kids on trains, think of the kids" posts soon!

silverous 23:18 24 Feb 2007

It does make you wonder why these things aren't regularly checked anyway if it is feasible to do so as a knee-jerk to something tragic like this happening.

That's my train line so I suppose I should be pleased at least that it is being checked.

Stuartli 23:55 24 Feb 2007

Hardly a knee jerk reaction - seems more like common sense to me, especially in view of the Potter's Bar tragedy.

Forum Editor 00:08 25 Feb 2007

It seems an eminently sensible thing to do in the circumstances.

georgemac © 08:15 25 Feb 2007

I too think this is entirely sensible and would be the first action coming from the investigation

What is so disappointing is to seemingly have the same fault as that which caused the potters bar crash - it looks like the systems put in place after that accident have failed

It would also appear that the new type of train and carriages played a large part ensuring the death toll and injuries were far less than everyone expected

And the actions of the train driver should not be overlooked either

Lets hope this time systems can be put in place to ensure the same thing cannot happen again

Forum Editor 08:28 25 Feb 2007

but let's remember that on average rail travel is around nine times safer than travelling by car in terms of deaths per passenger mile.

I don't have figures for the last couple of years, but in 2004 there were five rail passenger deaths and three thousand two hundred and twenty one road deaths.

wee eddie 08:33 25 Feb 2007

This morning they are saying that they don't know if the points were damaged before, or during, the accident.

On that basis, I think that a check of other sets of points in the system for a known hazard is eminently sensible.

crosstrainer 09:53 25 Feb 2007

On the BBC this morning it was being reported that four bolts were found lying neatly , side by side next to the track...maybe somone forgot to put them back after the maintainence had taken place?

Arnie 10:40 25 Feb 2007

told BBC News 24 he understood the circumstances of the crash were similar to those in the Potters Bar crash.

In that crash, in May 2002, seven people died and 76 were injured when poorly maintained points derailed a train.

"From what I understand, they have found these points in a similar condition to those at Potters Bar, with some missing nuts and the stretcher bar, which keeps the rails properly apart, apparently loosened," he said.

Surely rail maintenance technicians must have heard about slotted nuts and split pins, or Nyloc/Simmonds nuts?

For the full story:

click here

Forum Editor 10:44 25 Feb 2007

With respect, at this stage it's pure speculation to assume that maintenance engineers are to blame, and we must be very careful not to do that. There are many possibilities, and I think we would do well to wait for the results of an official investigation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?