Use a USB stick as RAM

Thalmus 12:56 15 Feb 2006

....with Vista

click here

So at least there is one reason to upgrade

dmc727 13:45 15 Feb 2006

Much of this is over my head – I wonder what kind of IQ you are going to need soon.

Is this the “new” floppy?

Forum Editor 19:43 15 Feb 2006

It's a fair step up on a floppy, that's for sure.

The principle behind this technology is simple, and makes use of the fact that Flash memory affords the operating system rapid access to data. An internal USB port, into which you could simply plug a Gigabyte or ten of Flash memory would indeed be a useful thing to have.

SG Atlantis® 20:00 15 Feb 2006

I remember reading before about Flash being used as a complete replacement for hard drives. Is this a a new direction completely or will it move towards eliminating hard disks as we know them?

rmcqua 20:03 15 Feb 2006

I'm wondering what the data transfer rate would be to and from a USB flash RAM compared to, say, a conventional DDR module?

dmc727 11:38 16 Feb 2006

Thanks, I’ve also read on to better understand. I see it like this………

There are two features that Microsoft has built into the Vista operating system which will call for NAND flash memory use (NAND is basically the same stuff as in a camera memory card)

You stick in a USB drive (or pen drive or whatever you call it), which contains the bag of tricks, into a USB opening. Better not knock it when it’s sticking out.

First use is a short term feature called (EMD) an external memory device. EMD will complement main memory in existing PCs to boost performance to run Vista. In fact Samsung believes that in a new computer DRAM is best suited for use as main memory.

The second route into the PC for NAND flash is through the hybrid hard disk drive which is still in the making. This technology will, as I read, mainly benefit mobile computers.

So all in all it won’t be of any benefit to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?