USA drops MOAB over Nangahar Province.

rdave13 19:52 13 Apr 2017
Answered

Second show of force by the President. Is Trump doing the right thing?

Al94 20:08 13 Apr 2017

I may have to revisit this opinion in the future - but yes I think he is. I'm impressed with his "no nonsense" reactions which send out a clear warning. There has been too much pussy footing about in recent years which has allowed the likes of IS to expand unchecked to a degree. Force need countermanded with greater force if factions like this are to be faced down.

rdave13 20:29 13 Apr 2017

I'm not sure. Is this use of force in defence or retaliation? What of repercussions from other countries when the USA shows it's flexing its muscles.

bumpkin 20:37 13 Apr 2017

I could be wrong of course but having looked up a description of a MOAB the claimed payload seems to exceed the total weight of the of the whole thing. Irrelevant to the OPs point I know but curious as to what one can believe.

bumpkin 20:49 13 Apr 2017

What of repercussions from other countries when the USA shows it's flexing its muscles.

Which countries and for what reason.

Belatucadrus 21:07 13 Apr 2017

I'm sure that before too long Jeremy Corbyn will be pontificating about how it should only have been done with full UN authorisation, which is about as likely as getting a docket from Santa and the Easter bunny.

rdave13 21:08 13 Apr 2017

What of repercussions from other countries when the USA shows it's flexing its muscles. Which countries and for what reason.

I don't know bumpkin , hence the question.

bumpkin 23:30 13 Apr 2017

I'm sure that before too long Jeremy Corbyn will be pontificating about how it should only have been done with full UN authorisation, which is about as likely as getting a docket from Santa and the Easter bunny.

Exactly, Trump whether right or wrong is doing something other than talking which seems to have failed in the past.

rdave13 00:27 14 Apr 2017

I'm no expert in history but where will this ' other than talking' get us to? More bombing and more missiles fired to what 'certain' targets? I'm a tad afraid that this 'banging of the chest' by the US will make things worse or even bring things to a war. What the global terrorist want I think. Possibly Trump isn't capable of forward thinking. Would Obama have done the same at this time?

Belatucadrus 01:49 14 Apr 2017

Would Obama have done the same at this time?

Absolutely not, he'd have made an impassioned and eloquent speech, drawn a metaphorical line in the sand that ISIL would not be permitted to cross, similar to the one he gave Assad and that would be it. Unfortunately as there were rarely any consequences Assad, ISIL and Jong Un got in the habit of ignoring him and crossed the line when it suited them.

Now I don't like Trump, I think he's a potentially disastrous President largely as I don't think he ever thought he'd get the job and hasn't got clue one on how to deliver on his campaign rhetoric. His responses to thugs and terrorists seem however to be more concrete than Obamas all mouth and no trousers technique. Love him or hate him he's demonstrated the resolve to act and ignoring him isn't an option.

morddwyd 08:45 14 Apr 2017

I don't wish to rain on the Americans' parade, but this is noy the biggest non-nuclear device.

617 Squadron, the Dambusters, dropped many Grand Slams, Barnes Wallis "earthquake bomb", weighing 22,000 lbs, on Germany on the latter stages of WW2.

It travelled faster than the speed of sound and had a 28 second delay device to give it time to penetrate before it went off.

Though I never did it "in anger" I prepared them during training exercises as laye as the mid 50s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires