US Presidential Elections: Who would you vote for?

Si_L 13:52 03 Nov 2008

A poll in the paper yesterday showed that almost 4/5ths of the UK public would vote for Obama to be the next president.

Are you in the majority or are you one of the 20% that favours McCain? Why?

Condom 14:00 03 Nov 2008

I don't think it is so much an Obama v McCAin thing as a Republican v Democrat thing in the UK. People just want rid of Bush and everything to do with him and McCain has suffered from this.

In the USA their thinking is different to ours and things will be closer. Personally I wouldn't vote for either of them.

Scillonia 14:27 03 Nov 2008

The off button

Clapton is God 15:11 03 Nov 2008

"almost 4/5ths of the UK public would vote for ..."

I think you'll probaly find that it actually said almost 4/5ths of the UK public couldn't give a toss".

Cymro. 15:28 03 Nov 2008

Things are so different in the USA and like most people in the UK I don`t take all that much interest in their elections.

But if forced to choose I would vote for Obama but only because he is NOT associated with Bush and so MAY make a better job of things.

sunnystaines 16:24 03 Nov 2008

they are both duds this time around, USA voters must be frustrated.

DippyGirl 16:26 03 Nov 2008

I am firmly in the "None of the Above" camp.

However what is nice to see is people out voting - some queueing for several hours - compare that with the apathy we all to often see in UK elections.
That said it looks like this could give rise to election day problems click here
So after what appears to be several years (not months) of campaigning this one may run and run ...

Forum Editor 18:46 03 Nov 2008

because a) I'm not an american, and b) I don't know enough about the issues.

It seems to be fashionable to constantly criticise everything and anything about America, but a good deal of what's said comes from people who don't have much of a clue about what the country is really like. They think it's clever to take a swipe at americans, so they do it, but ask them to back up what they say with some kind of evidence and they can't - they haven't been there (apart from a quick trip to Disney), but they feel quite justified in downing america as often as possible.

The amazing thing about America is that not so long ago black people were slaves, and even quite recently in relative terms they were not allowed to use the same buses or restaurants as white people in the Southern states. Now, if the experts are right, the american people are about to elect a black president for the first time in their country's history.

It's a classic example of the American dream coming true, and whatever else you may want to think about the country it's a triumph for democracy.

Grey Goo 19:01 03 Nov 2008

Choose between an Irish person O'Bama or a Scottish person McCain.

newman35 19:08 03 Nov 2008

Much of what America does today, we follow tomorrow. That is not so bad as many think, we are lucky to have what is an open democracy as the 'world leader' - thinking about it, could be a lot worse.

Too much time is spent slagging off the US, as FE says, but the people are remarkably close to us and our standards. They are not, in general, maybe as interested in travelling abroad as we are, they have such a vast array of things to see in their own country, why bother? This does tend to make them a little inward looking.

But I've never witnessed so much interest and enthusiasm than during this election campaign. The fact that a possible black leader may be forthcoming says an awful lot about the US.

I tend to support the Democrats, but have to say 'Mac' is one of the 'good guys' and I would be happy with him as well(but not his running mate, I'm afraid - but that's another thread!!).

Kevscar1 19:08 03 Nov 2008

FE

It's a classic example of the American dream coming true, and whatever else you may want to think about the country it's a triumph for democracy.

The dream will come true when they vote a Native American as President rather than either of these non-natives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017