The US election on UK TV

sunny staines 16:11 26 Jan 2008

Is it just me or is any else fed up with american elections domination the news on UK TV. All the news channels have it, if it was the final vote to make president then ok,but all this state by state is really boring, I am a keen news fan but this is too much.

Clapton is God 16:18 26 Jan 2008

I believe that most TVs these days have a switch which allows you to turn them off.

anskyber 16:31 26 Jan 2008

It's important to us.

I was thinking that in view of it's importance and the closeness of the race the BBC had not given sufficient coverage.

Super Tuesday on 5th February will bring things to a head after which you will be pleased to know it will go quiet again for a while.

sunny staines 16:43 26 Jan 2008

I always enjoy watching the news and as suggested the off switch comes into play only to find other news programs heavily into it too.

perhaps its just me then. when i have been in the usa nearly all their news is home news very little news on world affairs outside the USA.

Clapton is God 16:46 26 Jan 2008

"when i have been in the usa nearly all their news is home news very little news on world affairs outside the USA"

Correct. But they've always been an inward looking, self-interested nation

Forum Editor 17:14 26 Jan 2008

the size of the united states, and if our nation had developed in the same way theirs did, we might be a tad insular, too.

That aside, I find the US elections pretty interesting, especially this one. For the first time there's a definite chance that they'll elect a female president, and that would make the world sit up and take notice, to put it mildly.

Clapton is God 17:16 26 Jan 2008

"that would make the world sit up and take notice, to put it mildly"

Why?

Stuartli 17:23 26 Jan 2008

The Americans are fortunate in living in a country in which they have the widest variety of climate conditions available - they can, if they wish, go ski-ing or bask in desert sunshine.

That's why only about seven per cent of US citizens actually own a passport.

However, despite the fact that there is a population of more than 200 million, they sometimes end up with a choice of president that baffles the rest of the world.

Nothing particularly sparkling for me about the present crop of presidential hopefuls, whether male or female.

Clapton is God 17:30 26 Jan 2008

Oops, sorry!

That bump you all just heard was me falling off my chair as I dozed off whilst trying to find anything remotely interesting about US elections.

al7478 17:41 26 Jan 2008

There is nothing remotely interesting, to most people, about most things on telly. That doesnt mean they shouldnt be shown.

Forum Editor 17:41 26 Jan 2008

"Why?"

I'm surprised you had to ask, but you have, so I'll explain. The american president, contrary to what some people would have you believe, exerts enormous influence in world affairs. What the president says on matters of foreign policy can affect stock markets half an hour later, and if you're an investor you'll certainly be interested in that.

A female president would possibly see things a tad differently as far as international affairs are concerned, and so the world would sit up and take notice if Hilary Clinton was elected - trust me on that. I've spoken to people in China and in India who are on tenterhooks over the elections. You obviously find it all too boring to bother about, and of course that's your prerogative, but a lot of people tend to a different view.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?