Unworthy CD blanks

Diemmess 15:08 08 Feb 2008

Old data of a (shortly to be updated) Parish Plan was needed in addition to the backup on an external HD.

Doing well until I tried to access a 5 year old CD which flatly refused to come alive.
Worse, the whole computer stalled.

Tried reboot and it wouldn't shut down.
Hard reboot and ploughed through auto Chkdisk.
No improvement, partly displayed desktop, even after "last good configuration"
Decided to restore from Acronis - opened the drive for my CD and YES ...... muggins had left the dud CD in the drive.
Computer now back running happily as it has done since new last May.

I posted in Speaker's Corner because this doesn't require help, in fact it might help someone else.
Just an illustration of how easy it is to jump to the wrong conclusions.

Colin 15:27 08 Feb 2008

This reminds me many years ago of my PC inexperience. If you left a floppy disk drive in the PC and booted it up you got a message saying something like disc not found. It used to scare the hell out of me thinking I'd borked the PC. Of course, the local PC know-it-all would remove the floppy, boot up the PC and look at you as if you've just moved up a stage from pond life. I must have done it at least 3 times before I clicked.

Totally-braindead 15:30 08 Feb 2008

We've all done it Diemmess and what an idiot you feel if you post about something like this only to have someone point out the obvious to you.

But as I said we've all done it myself included.

Damn computers. (sometimes)

lisa02 15:36 08 Feb 2008

My favourite is the setting a picture of a desktop as a background and watching them click the icons in the picture.

Joe R 16:24 08 Feb 2008

Diemmess,

the only crashes I have had over the last few years, have always been from bad cd's/dvd's.

Totally-braindead 16:51 08 Feb 2008

I spent about a week trying everything to sort my keyboard - the numeric pad didn't do anything - I had the numeric lock off.

We all do it.

Legolas 18:31 08 Feb 2008

I took a screen dump of my desktop and somehow set it as my background and forgot about it

I was later puzzled by the fact that I could not click on or move some icons and also they were duplicated. I posted this in the helproom only for someone to suggest that this is what had been done. I was very red faced. This happened some time ago but will try and find the post in My Postings

laurie53 18:35 08 Feb 2008

Have a look on some of the PDA sites and see how many people seek help with an unresponsive machine, only to be advised to check the "Lock" switch!

Legolas 18:42 08 Feb 2008

Found the post so I will link to it and resurrect my red face. click here

Diemmess 18:08 09 Feb 2008

This was a mixed (not to say muddled) title meant as yet another warning about reliance on CD longevity, and the implicit question about "Why did the CD which was data-only, hog the limelight."
I might post in Helproom for that.

Back to this post, Legolas and Simsy between them describe a real frightener.

I know the old chestnut about a dead PC needing the operator to switch the PSU on before worrying why it won't boot..... but I had a moment's panic last year when I had unpacked this new computer and nothing happened.

It only took a moment to realise what I had NOT done, but in that moment all the bad experiences I had ever had flashed through my mind!

lisa02 18:23 09 Feb 2008

Legolas!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?