An unusually honest ebay item description

WhiteTruckMan 23:00 06 Nov 2009

click here scroll down then bow down to the god of total honesty.

WTM

rdave13 23:16 06 Nov 2009

Someone who has had it up to the ears.
Nothing like a good rant on a public forum even though he or she has to pay.
Priceless. End of tether plea...

Me?
I'd trounce it with a sledge hammer, dismantle, and bit by bit recycle the object.
Please note that I refer to object and not a machine....

Quickbeam 10:04 07 Nov 2009

I think he's covered every possible expected complaint route with that get out clause...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 07 Nov 2009

That certainly brought a smile this morning.

ROFL
:0)

Grey Goo 11:42 07 Nov 2009

Someone still paid money for it.

folsom 12:10 07 Nov 2009

Absolutely brilliant.....

John B 18:34 07 Nov 2009

It's worth a look at the items he's sold; the descriptions are superb and the questions and answers are equally off-beat.

Legolas 18:47 07 Nov 2009

The guy plays very well on the perversness of human nature ergo if you tell someone something is rubbish and not to buy it they will always be someone who will.

Bapou 19:33 07 Nov 2009

Back in the 70's or 80's a London, (or, Home Counties), estate agent advertising in the Sunday Times used this marketing method.

Properties would be advertised as run down, badly in need of refurbishment etc and with a hefty price tag. Fun to read and certainly popular among readers.

As to whether property sales increased, that I never found out. There must have been some success as the advertising style was used for a long time.

Grey Goo 21:13 07 Nov 2009

I got a lot of crap items in the house, might give it a try.

Jim Thing 22:10 07 Nov 2009

"Back in the 70's or 80's a London, (or, Home Counties), estate agent advertising in the Sunday Times used this marketing method."

That was Roy Brookes, chairman of Lodon estate agents E.H. Brookes, who wrote his own advertising copy (and my failing memory says it was in the 1950s). I remember he advertised one place as being "...perched on the edge of a railway cutting into which one day it will undoubtedly topple" while another was said to be "decorated in what appears to be embossed porridge."

His ads always appeared on the back page of the Sunday Times — first thing I turned to in the paper every week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?