Unusual Bird

Bingalau 17:53 17 Feb 2008

Are there any "Twitchers" on this forum? I caught a flash of red in the garden this afternoon and thought "Gosh, that's a big robin" Then I saw it feeding on the bags of bird nuts. So I grabbed my camera and although it is not a video camera decided to set it to video and see what came out. Please excuse the background television noise and also my lousy Liverpool accent when I accidentally spoke. can anyone identify this bird? I had a couple of tries at getting pictures. But this is the best I could do. It seems to have disappeared now but maybe it will come back tomorrow?

click here

click here

anskyber 17:56 17 Feb 2008

greater spotted woodpecker.

anskyber 17:57 17 Feb 2008
  Bingalau 18:03 17 Feb 2008

anskyber. That's the one. Are you as fast as that with Brumas's postcard puzzles? I will have a read of the the article now and then I will be able to tell my grand-children to come and see it. By the way it's the first one I have ever seen in spite of being brought up in a small country village in the county of Salop. Thanks for the information...

anskyber 18:08 17 Feb 2008

It's a lovely bird and I have a couple who visit my feeder. The markings are striking, the male (and the young) have a red patch at the back of the head whereas the female does not.

Bapou 18:13 17 Feb 2008

Nothing unusual, there's one hammers out territory in the woods every day at this time of the year near us. It's paid a visit a couple of times to our garden before, nicking food from the bird table.

Strange thing is, I normally hear him as early as Jan 2nd. This year he's late, only last Tuesday to be precise.

Bingalau 18:14 17 Feb 2008

I was wondering if there might be another one around. I am not sure if this one had a bit of red on it's head or not. If it shows up tomorrow I will try to get a better look at it and maybe actually get outside for a decent still picture. But I think it will be off like a shot if it hears any strange noise. I shall have to be very sneaky-beaky..

tullie 19:07 17 Feb 2008

Dont worry about the accent,i believe a lot of scousers are learnings the local yorkshire dialect from Barnsley.

sunny staines 19:21 17 Feb 2008

try tclick here one

Bingalau 19:45 17 Feb 2008

tullie. I'm an Evertonian so I have no idea what you are on about.. LUS. (Just made that one up...Laughs up sleeve).

Brumas 22:16 17 Feb 2008

Just seen this post, are you sure it is not a Liver Bird? ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?