Unlicensed Merseyside Police drone grounded

peter99co 16:42 16 Feb 2010

Back to the drawing board!

click here

£40,000 remote control helicopter fitted with a CCTV.

The air space regulator confirmed it was investigating the use of the drone by Merseyside Police and the force had stopped all drone operations.

Quickbeam 08:43 17 Feb 2010

Bearing in mind that most police forces have helicopters now, I would have thought the CAA would have the police on their list of primary users to be keeping in close touch with over any changes in CAA rules.

Who else uses drones, the services? I can't think of many more that would use them. So it can't be that hard to keep track of who uses them.

Bingalau 10:57 17 Feb 2010

I think there were two police forces using them. But can't recall where I picked up that information. It will be good to get this newish technology back over our skies again. They certainly can't be any more dangerous than the police helicopter or the micro-lites that are flying about all day long in this area. In fact it is unmanned and it crashes it is at least one less casualty.

WhiteTruckMan 11:33 17 Feb 2010

flying one of these devices (or something of similar mass/dimensions for my own personal amusement I would no doubt feel the full weight of the law in no short order.

Hands up anyone who thinks the police will face similar prosecution? After all, as is stated all too often, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Maybe this might just make the police realise how average law abiding citizens feel when the goalposts get moved on them.

WTM

MAJ 11:35 17 Feb 2010

"In fact it is unmanned and it crashes it is at least one less casualty."

One of them crashed into our local cemetery yesterday. Police have so far recovered 33 bodies. ;)

Bingalau 11:54 17 Feb 2010

MAJ. Don't tell me you live in Ireland?

MAJ 12:03 17 Feb 2010

"MAJ. Don't tell me you live in Ireland?"

I wouldn't live anywhere else, Bingalau. :)

Chegs ®™ 14:20 17 Feb 2010

I have several remote-control aircraft,one of which has the ability to carry a camera.Several members of our local model flying club have aircraft with similar abilities(one uses his model to take aerial photos,drop sweets onto onlookers at events,etc)and none of us were aware of this change.I wonder if we're likely to encounter the CAA officials turn up at the next club meeting and start handing out notice of intent to prosecute?

Bingalau 17:10 17 Feb 2010

Surely dropping sweets on to unsuspecting spectators is not quite PC. What if the local bobby looks up and gets one in the eye? Oooh! I wouldn't like to be in your shoes.

wiz-king 17:58 17 Feb 2010

Now you will have to get the bathroom scales out and weigh all the aircraft - mind you 7Kg is a fair weight for a model.

MAJ 18:20 17 Feb 2010

"mind you 7Kg is a fair weight for a model."

Especially a Supermodel. ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017