Univesity to study panto.

User-1159794 08:46 24 Jun 2007

University drama experts have been given £525,000 of taxpayers money to study pantomimes.

The team from Glasgow University will focus on the history and impact of the popular shows,as well as their appeal to Scots audiences.

Paul Maloney,the projects research fellow said: “In Scotland, pantomime has always been seen as part of the country's rich and vibrant theatre tradition.”

Scots comedian Elaine C Smith,who used her years of panto experiences as the basis of her BA university thesis said: “There is something about pantomime which is incredibly unifying. In the same row you can see a doctor, a pensioner, a lawyer, a toilet cleaner and a teacher.”

A couple of questions here:
1.How can she tell the occupations of the people in the row.
2.Do these same folk not usually have kids in tow.

Are well, its good to see tax money being well spent .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:53 24 Jun 2007

"Are well, its good to see tax money being well spent."

Oh no it isn't

Oh yes it is

Oh no it isn't

Sorry got carried away there fore a moment.

:0)

Monoux 10:29 24 Jun 2007

Shame his name was Paul Maloney and not Baloney which is what this research is a load of

User-1159794 10:44 24 Jun 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/
I did not succumb to the temptation.
I am glad to see you did.
LOL.

Kate B 15:03 24 Jun 2007

That's a tiny amount of money in the great scheme of things, and panto is a valid art form to study. It's got a rich history that would be really interesting to look at properly and analyse. Good for them, I hope they publish their research as I'd like to read it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 24 Jun 2007

1.How can she tell the occupations of the people in the row.

a doctor, (white coat and stethoscope)
a pensioner, (waving her walking stick and booing at the Grand Vizir)
a lawyer, (forgot to take his wig off after asking the Judge for a recess{so he could see the show})
a toilet cleaner (great thing for taking to a panto, a loo brush)
and a teacher. (cap and gown, welding a cane, and throwing chalk sticks at the baddie)

2.Do these same folk not usually have kids in tow.

What and spoil a good afternoon out?

;0)

User-1159794 17:11 24 Jun 2007

lol. Fruit Bat /\0/
Kate B, whatever.

Kate B 17:15 24 Jun 2007

I don't think there's any need to be rude or dismissive about my post. You obviously don't think there's value in studying dramatic forms; I do. I wasn't rude to you.

Quickbeam 09:26 25 Jun 2007

They could just ask some people that attend...

Quickbeam 09:33 25 Jun 2007

They could just have asked some people that attend...

Answer:
1. It,s hilariously funny.
2. The humour appeals to the age group minus 1 year to plus 101 years.
3. The audience like to participate... oh, yes we do!
4. It's great for when the kids have got bored with all the Christmas pressents by Boxing day afternoon.

Please sent my £525,000 cheque to 'Quickbeam c/o Entwood'.

Kate B 09:33 25 Jun 2007

Well, there's the history of the form, for a start - where it comes from, how it's evolved into the style we know now; where the stories come from, the audience conventions, the stuff about cross-dressing, which I imagine is a relic of the days when all actors were men; the audience involvement, the way panto is used as a vehicle by celebs, why is it only at Christmas, etc etc - lots to research, and very interesting, I'd say. It's quite an old-fashioned entertainment form and it would be interesting to research why it's still so popular.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?