Universitys can charge up to £9,000 pa

mr simon 14:58 03 Nov 2010

"Universities in England will be able to charge tuition fees of up to £9,000 per year, as the government transfers much of the cost of courses from the state to students.

Fees will rise to £6,000 - with an upper tier of £9,000, if universities ensure access for poorer students."

click here

One area I have yet to see addressed is what happens to students who are already studying, such as myself, who accepted the offer of studying at the current rate of just over £3,000. Regardless, I am can not see a single good thing to come from this. I agree that the deficit and debt need to be reduced, and that is a primary concern for our country. But this is going to put many potential students off studying, and while the increase in fees could raise capital for the government in the short term, I think that over the very long term they will rue the decision.

woody 16:25 03 Nov 2010

As i understand it - no one pays until you earn over a set amount.
To save money i would like to see a high fee plus delete the PhD in corri type courses and perhaps give a discount for those that get a degree.
We do not want/need every one to go to uni.
We encourage too many to go .Is that why the drop out rate is so high?

woody 16:28 03 Nov 2010

I should have added.
The num of hours spent in the class room is much too low (3hrs? per week).
Money could be saved by putting in a full week and reducing the overall num of mths.years.

sunnystaines 16:33 03 Nov 2010

my daughter is nearly 31 and still paying off uni loans which she went to on leaving college at 18.

loans for life, they even deduct it from her pay packet direct.

spuds 18:28 03 Nov 2010

I live near a big university and college town, and these establishments cover a very good range of professional and what I would suggest non-professional subjects. Overseas students are also well represented in the uni's.

What annoys me the most, is to see some students who work and seek various jobs in their spare time, and others who appear to moan quite a lot, yet at the same prefer to prop a bar up, spending money that they don't seem to have.

The same could possibly be stated about some of the subject matter chosen by some students and allowed by authority.

Pine Man 18:54 03 Nov 2010

My understanding is that this only applies to university entrants from 2012 onwards and is not backdated. Student loans taken out as a result of the new charges will only have to be paid back when earnings exceed £21000.

Somebody has to pay for it.

Forum Editor 18:57 03 Nov 2010

is to see some students who work and seek various jobs in their spare time, and others who appear to moan quite a lot, yet at the same prefer to prop a bar up, spending money that they don't seem to have."

That more or less describes the way it was when I was at university. Students have always supported the alcohol industry, always had part-time jobs, and always moaned quite a lot. The difference between my time and now is that I didn't have to borrow money from the government to fund my time there - I had to find the money myself, or rather my parents did.

There's an argument that goes ..."why should low earners have to contribute to the cost of higher education for the children of high earners via the tax system?" and the argument has merit. The rationale behind university fees and loans is that graduates can expect to have a greater earning potential as a result of getting a degree, so it's unfair to expect low-paid taxpayers to chip in. Let the students borrow their fees and pay back out of their (supposedly higher) earnings when they're working.

For their part the universities are facing cuts the same as many other institutions, and if they're expected to maintain high standards of education they need to raise the money somehow. The only way open to them is to charge their customers.

The argument that higher fees will deter some students from attending is a hypothetical one, and personally I doubt that it will happen to any great degree (excuse the pun). Universities have the option to make offers to bright people who cannot afford to pay the full whack - they can offer a reduced course fee if they wish. At least one university already does this.

spuds 19:28 03 Nov 2010

Possibly going off subject,but there must still be large amount of money (even in recession) in universities, and we are not just talking about fees.

Our main universities seems to be buying land, demolishing building, rebuilding etc big time. Even landlords are getting in on the act by buying disused factory premises either to demolish and rebuild or refurbish then let out as student accommodation at £55 per week, single tenancy.

One thing that as been aired recently, is that the local uni's are taking on to many students, and apparently have had their knuckles wrapped by government.

Snec 19:55 03 Nov 2010

Spot on, sir.

Also if all the Micky Mouse courses, like Media Studies and Flower Arranging were stopped it would free up resources.

The problem at the moment, and has been for some years, is that Government has acted deceitfully in kidding everyone (by allowing no one to be examination failures) to believe they are clever.

I would like to bring back the Technical Colleges that served a really useful purpose for many of us, and keep the universities for the truly clever.

morddwyd 20:18 03 Nov 2010

Education should be free.

I'm not talking about post grads of 25 doing some D. Phil research, but someone who starts school at five years old and stays in continuous education, with perhaps the option of one gap year, as part of their studies, until they graduate or otherwise decide they have enough education.

The main trouble is the vast proliferation of the number of universities, and their sizes.

On TV the other night some one mentioned a university, I think it may have been Manchester, with 20,000 students.

That's a lot to be paying for, and from that university alone that means that there are 20,000 graduates looking for jobs every four years or so..

University education should not be available to all, but only to the best (and I don't mean the richest).

wee eddie 20:22 03 Nov 2010

Courses, if that is what you want to do. Particularly if you are putting your money up front and expect to see returns throughout your life.

I think that we will soon find that Universities start price differentiation, with certain Courses having a Premium and others much cheaper.

When University was cheap, many folk opted for Courses, like Media Studies, because it was a good way to have a good time with not too much work.

Now that it will be necessary to find the money out of your future earnings, many Student will think considerably harder about the Course that they do.

Incidentally, a good pass in Media Studies is a valuable addition to ones CV, but a 2.2 is worth very little and will not light up a potential Employers eyes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?