Uninsured vehicles face new measures

Colonel Graham 10:23 23 May 2011

From the BBC

Quickbeam 10:35 23 May 2011

Splendid!

Bingalau 10:57 23 May 2011

I can now look forward to my insurance premium being reduced. Some hope!

SparkyJack 11:13 23 May 2011

If a car is uninsured then it is also untaxed- as it cannot be taxed without a valid insurance- so it a double whammy for the offender.

As pointed out on the BBC interview and as we drivers know DVLA records show your insurance and MOT in their data base as you will see if you apply to re tax 'online' Also the interviewee pointed out that on the continent and Ireland an insurance disc is provided for the windscreen-

A simple thing to do for the insurance companies with the certificate similarly to the 'peel off' sticker on every MOT certificate.

spuds 11:23 23 May 2011

Will this prevent the uninsured and unlicensed driver using a vehicle of their choice. I doubt it very much. The same might apply to the 'banned' driver who seems to rack up further points and disqualifications, then leaves the courtroom to commit further motoring offenses.

Apparently it is costing each legally insured vehicle owner £40.00 extra, so as to part compensate for the uninsured. Untaxed and non-MOT'ed is another issue.

When the law changed so that the police and DVLA had powers of immediate confiscation, this was a great move forward in ridding some of the pests of the road. But we could have perhaps gone even further by changing the methods of licensing, to perhaps similar that some other countries have, that the vehicles have to display all approved documentation.

When this idea was first discussed, it was going to be a case that 'all' vehicles should have some form of insurance, whether they were on the road or not, and that included SORN vehicles. That original opinion or consultation as perhaps now been laid to rest!.

johndrew 13:59 23 May 2011

I don't think even these measures are strong enough.

Anyone who has a otor vehicle which is not the subject of a SOR declaration knows that it needs to be both insured and taxed for use on the road. Every year the renewal paperwork tells you this. As a result it should simply be a case of a team turning up at the registered address and sizing the vehicle on the spot unless a valid insurance certificate is produced there and then - no excuses. If a vehicle is on a road with no evidence of insurance the same process should be invoked.

Uninsured drivers kill and maim with little concern - why should any concern be applied to them.

al's left peg 15:58 23 May 2011

More red tape from Cameron & Co, the people who promised us less of it.

Don't they realise that this will only affect the motorist who genuinely forgets to fill in a form? The toe rags who drive about uninsured or keep vehicles uninsured won't give a toss about this at all.

peter99co 16:12 23 May 2011

I insured a car in September and when I came to apply for Tax it was shown as not insured on the DVLA system. I had to get the Insurance company to put it on the database. It took 24 hours before it appeared.

How come I was able to drive around for 3 months without getting some notification.

Maybe my car is a stealth vehicle?

I hope they have improved the detection rates since last year.

morddwyd 16:16 23 May 2011

This is a high publicity sledgehammer to crack something which could be fixed with existing legislation.

For instance, there are ANPR cameras at each end of the Tay Road Bridge, there are probably others elsewhere, I don't know about them.

It simply needs a dedicated team to monitor those cameras full time, not just for a couple of hours every third Tuesday, and immediately lift any uninsured untaxed vehicle.

But of course, this new legislation won't be enforced by the police will it? It's the DVLA. More bureaucracy, more civil servants.

Imagine ANPR at each of, say, the Dartford Tunnel, day and night for a month.

Forum Editor 18:34 23 May 2011

This is an obvious and welcome remedy to what is a serious problem.

It won't resolve the problem of uninsured vehicles in one go, but it will certainly make things far easier for the Police. They'll be able to concentrate on unregistered vehicles.

It's a no-brainer.

spuds 19:54 23 May 2011

I wonder if consideration as been taken in view of Tradex or similar vehicle insurance policies and how they are used?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires