Unbelievable....!!!

royalflush 13:47 06 Mar 2007

what a Coincedince i posted a thread two days ago & look whats in the nesw...just goes to show eh....

click here

heres my Original post

click here

Kate B 13:58 06 Mar 2007

What's unbelievable about a company offshoring a service centre? It makes sound economic sense.

jack 14:01 06 Mar 2007

What's unbelievable about a company offshoring a service centre? It makes sound economic sense.
---------------o0o----------------------
Not such sound economic sense if all that is achieved is the alienation of your customer base.
Witness the number of firms that are 'coming back home'

Kate B 14:02 06 Mar 2007

I imagine the hard numbers on cost savings outweigh the possibility of a few miffed customers. Though it is interesting to see companies using UK-based call centres as a marketing tool.

jackhass 14:12 06 Mar 2007

A friend of mine in the software business told me how his company now sends much of the work out to India.

He stated that the prices are increasing for the main programmers so much that he predicts that India will eventually lose out to another cheaper country.

I enquired about the quality of the resulting software.He answered me with a real event -

"I asked the programmer to write the code for a given algorithm and thought that by giving him an example of the algorithm it may help. When the software came back what he had coded was the given 'example' "

Carry On Up The Offshore!

royalflush 14:20 06 Mar 2007

KateB its more about keping the uk in work & not sending it abroad....some people eh...(eyes roll)

rodriguez 14:39 06 Mar 2007

For most businesses, money is the main thing and if companies can save money by moving work abroad they will. It's just an unfortunate fact that businesses put money before the people who find that they lose their jobs. I saw something before on TV about it, and these Indian call centres are usually in poor areas where people are desperate for work. I think they also hold English classes for them to improve their English. In a way it makes sense because it also helps people out of poverty. In the UK there are quite a few jobs available, so the companies don't really take the fact that people lose their jobs over here into account. What would be better is if these companies who decide to up sticks and move to a cheaper country, actually helped the UK workers who will be made redundant get into another job quickly instead of leaving them to the mercy of the Job Centre (I'm not the Job Centre's best mate at the moment).

"its more about keping the uk in work & not sending it abroad....some people eh...(eyes roll)"

You obviously have no understanding of how economics work.

A very simplified explanation - you keep the call centreS in the UK and pay the much higher wages which forces you to increase your prices to the customer. They in turn buy from your competitors who can offer the same product / service at a cheaper price as their outgoings are less. The customers therefore buy from your competitors and you go bust and have to get rid of your UK call centre anyway...

I'm not sure how that random capital S appeared in their

n4165si 15:29 06 Mar 2007

as aready stated in previous thread ,take for example Dyson ,the manufacturing may have been cheaper for him ,but you won't see the reduction in price in uk of his product.you also have to remember this country has an unemployment figure of 1.4 million ,i don't believe it helps the governments Back to work program that they have just announced, where are the jobs however menial coming from? still ,the taxes will have to go up to pay for these unemployed.

royalflush 15:38 06 Mar 2007

[email protected]
You obviously have no understanding of how economics work.
the post isnt about the ""economics"" as u put it more about trying to keep the work in the uk,if your son or daughter worked at that call centre i would love to see your reaction then...& then state the same words...call centres give the public in the uk thousands of jobs & although India needs work as well,so does the uk..i dont have any intrest in the politics of companies or the financies what bothers me is thats the third major company in the uk to anounce in the past couple of weeks there shedding hundreds of jobs....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?