Is this the unacceptable face of animal conservation?

Forum Editor 10:01 26 Aug 2013

a pregnant Panda gets front page coverage because Pandas are cute and cuddly, yet other species which are teetering on the brink of extinction are largely ignored by the media.

When did you last hear about a pregnant Baiji dolphin, currently one of the world's most endangered species, with only 20 animals left alive?

What about the Brown Spider monkeys of Colombia and Venezuela? Only 60 of them survive.

Then there's the Siamese crocodile - 70 of them are hanging on.

The list goes on, and it's a long one; even some of the cuddliest animals are in serious trouble - it's estimated that there could be as few as 50,000 Koalas left in Australia. As with most endangered land animals, their decline is primarily due to loss of habitat.

But never mind about all that, let's get back to monitoring the progress of Tian Tian's pregnancy.

Chronos the 2nd 10:30 26 Aug 2013

Is this the unacceptable face of animal conservation?

Undoubtedly, but we are where we are.

As the human population expands with it's obvious impact on the environment then unfortunately extinctions are a fact of life. The fact that a pregnant panda ids getting publicity from the media, is this the same media you have, on several occasions pointed out' are in the business of selling papers?

The pregnant panda is here in Edinburgh and of course it is going to get publicity. The Kolas, spider monkeys and dolphins are not UK based so will not get the media attention you feel they deserve. But that's reality.

johndrew 10:39 26 Aug 2013

I would ask whether the effort put into conserving species is really valid given that for millions of years species have developed and then declined to extinction naturally.

The route to extinction can be from many causes; not least perhaps man. But what proportion can man save? With limited knowledge of how a species developed and its needs for continued existence should we try to save everything that is in decline?

It would seem to me that man conserves only that which appeals or is in the forefront of publicity and ignores many others. Where man is truly guilty of driving extinction, such as the Rhino, is where the effort to conserve should be made and this in the form of prevention rather than attempting a cure which is likely to fail naturally in time anyway. Conservation by creating unnatural environments is little better than having stuffed carcasses in museums in my opinion.

It may be sad that some things we would rather retain as constant will change with time, but that is the way of life within nature. If not, would man have developed from the creature of origin?

BT 10:47 26 Aug 2013

Did you see the item on Scottish wildcats last week. Seems there's only about 50 pure breeds left in the wild. There are quite a lot of crossbreeds with domestic cats.

Mr Mistoffelees 11:05 26 Aug 2013

"Is this the unacceptable face of animal conservation?"

I think it is the unacceptable face of media priorities and what the great unwashed want to see cooped-up in zoo cages.

namtas 11:39 26 Aug 2013

The Panda story sells news,and that is the media business. It is a simple business process.

spuds 14:41 26 Aug 2013

Please don't get me started on the subject of animal conservation, or supposed animal welfare for that, because you are sure to light the blue torch paper.

I have witnessed many incidents in my life to realise, that some of those professing to safeguard, protect and preserve animals, can sometimes become the world and the animal's worst offender's. And that is why I would never give direct to any of the top animal welfare concerns, who seem to run more of a commercial business, which is well away from its original founding's and concepts.

Perhaps more nearer to home is the decrease in the newt population, and how they are now a protected species, like many of the UK's countryside and possibly town 'wildlife'. There have even been building delays, and expensive 'animal paths' in some areas, yet when it allows, how many of the laws, rules and regulations are being broken, and that's by some who should know all the facts and should abide by them, yet don't.

I raised a recent issue with my local council about an issue of animal and wildlife care. Did they want to know, certainly not the person that I was trying to communicate with. I doubt whether the actually knew the law on the subject, yet should have done, especially on the high position they held. Perhaps I should have gone direct to the media, then someone might have shown some interest?.

I did say, Don't get me started!.

spuds 14:53 26 Aug 2013

Perhaps I should have expanded on the reason why I mentioned newts, which are supposedly a protected species.

When you see workmen filling in a pond that is known for it's newt population, then informing the workmen so of this. Then being told in an unfriendly manner that they were following instructions, nothing to do with them. Then were do you go from there?.

In this particular incident, it wasn't some 'cowboy' type workers being told by their boss (perhaps in fear of dismissal), but actually council worker's?.

spuds 14:55 26 Aug 2013

Apologies for the delay between my two above postings, appears that the website is having 'waiting for' and 'server overload' delays?.

morddwyd 18:58 26 Aug 2013

I'm afraid endangered animal species are the same as politicians - without a decent media image they don't get a look in.

rdave13 19:05 26 Aug 2013

Apparently not all 'animals' are cute, Weather.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?