Umbrella companies

  VNAM75 19:51 10 Nov 2006

I've been provisionally offered a Data Analyst contract arranged through an IT recruitment agency. I am currently on a temporary contract in NHS finance where I get paid based on the number of hours worked per week (PAYE) by submitting weekly timesheets.

The agent has recommended that I register with a umbrella company for this new job. He says I will get paid a higher rate and be able to claim travel expenses (does this include daily commuting?).

Can anyone give me some information about umbrella companies?

Would I need to be registered as a company (like IT contractors)or would they arrange everything?
Would I have to pay fees to the company or a cut of my weekly salary?

  Jackcoms 20:14 10 Nov 2006

Surely if your "agent" has recommended using an umbrella company, he should have the answers to your questions should he?

  The Brigadier 20:30 10 Nov 2006

You set up your own company and theirfore can claim more tax back. Suggest a visit to the tax man site for more info & help.

  chocolate cake 22:45 10 Nov 2006

I don't think that he is asking you to set up a company as such. That would require a visit to companies house to register the company Costs money and your business affairs may be scrutinised a little.

What I think he is asking you to do is register with HMRC as a self-employed consultant whatever. I believe that the company for whom you would be nominally employed would then be freed the responsibilities of paying your holiday pay, class 1 NICs etc.

In effect you wouldn't actually be an employee of the company and therefore they are absolved of most of the normal PAYE regulatiuons with the exception of H&S and possibly a few others.

If you are unsure, and I think you shoud be, clarify with your agent before embarking.

  VNAM75 22:59 10 Nov 2006

OK, thank you to everyone for their advice.

  Forum Editor 23:04 10 Nov 2006

you would not be a director nor have the responsibilities associated with running a limited company. The umbrella company would take care of all accountancy, taxation, and administrative matters. The way it works is that you complete a timesheet in the normal way and send it to the umbrella company, which then invoices the agent. When the agent pays the umbrella company you get paid.

  spuds 23:09 10 Nov 2006

Might explain a little more!. click here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?