UK Unemployment At 3 Million!

Uboat 00:46 10 Jun 2010

I thought we was out of the recession? well it looks like we are all going to have Another "Drink" of it! omg..

click here

Forum Editor 00:51 10 Jun 2010

What made you think that?

UK unemployment is not at 3 million - it's estimated that it may get near that figure by the second half of 2012.

Uboat 01:04 10 Jun 2010

Peter the goverment whilst under labour announced the uk was out of the recession months ago so whats happened.?
It is still very seriously worrying still at THAT amount of unemployed people!
& in the above link it states "There was little prospect of real wage growth until at least 2015"
Oh my god thats far away i thought things would of picked up way before then, I can rememeber about 14 months ago a thread i created stating the recession would last a few years & a a lot of forum members said "NO WAY" even yourself peter said things would pickup in a few months but they havent? i think this has all been way too deep for anyone to forecast..

morddwyd 07:35 10 Jun 2010

I think you are perhaps confusing "we are coming out of recession" spin with real facts.

The fact that the economy grows by one quarter of one per cent does not mean we are out of recession, even growth of 0ne per cent is still way too low for a healthy economy.

michaelw 08:58 10 Jun 2010

Some people believe the government use creative accountancy when dealing with unemployment figure.

Looking a little closer at today’s employment figures, not only did one person become unemployed every 3 minutes in the 3 month to February, but the details show that headline unemployment hides the true state of the UK jobs market.

The latest figures show that the inactivity rate rose to 21.5%, meaning 8.16million working age people are not economically active, the highest figure ever recorded. However, of those ‘inactive’ people, 2,339,000 want to a job – a 29,000 increase on the previous 3 months.

Add that number to the 2,502,000 who are officially classed as unemployed and the true picture starts to become clear.

4.84million people in the UK who want a job do not have one, making the real unemployment rate more like 14.4%

interzone55 09:06 10 Jun 2010

I think you are also making creative use of numbers.

The 2,339,000 people who want a job my be in the 2,502,000 who are officially classed as unemployed. Or they may be among the millions of "homemakers" (neé housewives) who may want to go out to work but are at home because they've been looking after kids for so long they will find it difficult to get a job.

I can only see the official jobless figure growing, as CamClegg will no doubt use the Thatcherite tactic of running a high unemployment rate to keep wage demands low...

wee eddie 09:24 10 Jun 2010

I feel that until we make the least desirable jobs, sufficiently financially rewarding, we will never succeed in really reducing the overall figure.

I have no idea how this can be done.

morddwyd 09:58 10 Jun 2010

"we make the least desirable jobs, sufficiently financially rewarding, "

Then another group of jobs become the "least desirable" and the wheel rolls on!

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:23 10 Jun 2010

The Government do not include all the taxpayer funded 'new start', 'new deal' and various other creation schemes in the 'unemployment' figures.
G

michaelw 12:18 10 Jun 2010

...The Government do not include all the taxpayer funded 'new start', 'new deal' and various other creation schemes in the 'unemployment' figures...

Exactly. That is how they manipulate the figures.

bri-an 12:30 10 Jun 2010

"Exactly. That is how they manipulate the figures."

This can't really be a surprise to anyone,can it?
Governments of all colours routinely manipulate figures to promote/hide whatever message they want to propagate.
But try defining exactly who should be classified as 'unemployed' and you see the problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache