The UK a third world country?

mr simon 18:37 15 Sep 2010

According to Cardinal Walter Kasper

click here

"One of the Pope's senior advisers has pulled out of the papal visit to Britain, after saying the UK is a "Third World country" marked by "a new and aggressive atheism"."

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Uboat 18:49 15 Sep 2010

Yeah ive just read this on BBC, its disgusting we are paying millions to have THAT lot come over here then they insult us! how dare they! thing is they live in a life where everything i would imagine is done for them! so they can look down upon us! NOT!

Mr Mistoffelees 18:55 15 Sep 2010

Any lingering respect I may have had for the Catholic Church just went out the window.

egapup 19:01 15 Sep 2010

"The Vatican said the cardinal had not intended "any kind of slight", and was referring to the UK's multicultural society."
Cant disagree with that.

wellshgit 19:01 15 Sep 2010

I may be an Atheist,but I'm not agressive! If I meet Kaspar,I'll punch his head in! ;-)

john bunyan 19:07 15 Sep 2010

By a coincidence of timing he has gout! Maybe he saw some of the suburbs between Heathrow and London and thought he was in the Punjab.

Al94 19:08 15 Sep 2010

See ourselves as others see us!

wiz-king 19:15 15 Sep 2010

Strange. I thought GB was more religious than in previous Papal visits -- but just not R.Catholic. We certainly have more Muslims, Hindus and so on.

Forum Editor 19:21 15 Sep 2010

you might also get the feeling that you were in a third-world country.

The media will, as usual, want to make much of this, and - as usual - there will be those whose reaction will be of the knee-jerk variety, but in truth it's not a big deal.

One man has made a couple of remarks in an interview in some obscure German magazine, and suddenly we're seeing people foaming at the mouth.

Let's settle down, and see it for what it is - a storm in a teacup, not something that's worth getting all agitated about.

Uboat 19:23 15 Sep 2010

FE "a storm in a teacup" yeah i agree! but it still is a bit rude..

mr simon 19:36 15 Sep 2010

"One man has made a couple of remarks in an interview in some obscure German magazine, and suddenly we're seeing people foaming at the mouth."

The quote was taken from the third largest news magazine, I hardly think this qualifies as obscure. He must have known also that anything he said regarding the UK was going to be scrutinised with the Pope's visit at hand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?