UK surveillance plan to go ahead (internet)

Seth Haniel 15:40 09 Nov 2009

click here

The Home Office says it will push ahead with plans to ask communications firms to monitor all internet use.

peter99co 16:29 09 Nov 2009

The estimated £2bn bill for the project includes compensation for the companies involved.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 17:11 09 Nov 2009

Will the Highways Agency now be responsible for all accidents on the roads too?

Forum Editor 17:12 09 Nov 2009

until it's blue in the face, but getting Service Providers to actually carry out the work is another thing altogether. The government will have to legislate to force these companies to comply, and that will meet with a good deal of opposition.

Nobody's going to argue about the importance of protecting the public interest, and private data, but he cows aren't in the barn yet, by a long way.

morddwyd 20:05 09 Nov 2009

How will the government force these companies to comply if, like MS, Yahoo, Google et al they are not UK companies.

They will just close down their UK operations and operate from the US or wherever.

I have been with Yahoo since long before they had a UK operation (I still have a .com e-mail address, and much of my spam is of US origin) and believe me, there is absolutely no noticeable difference.

Of course, we might become like the China, and only have "approved" web sites.

Forum Editor 23:47 09 Nov 2009

to the war in Afghanistan, the government has to keep up the line that terrorism is a major, current threat."

I couldn't have put it better.

Kevscar1 00:01 10 Nov 2009

fourm member

full assessment of the technicalities of how this data is to be obtained so that any law can be properly drafted.

I admit I don,t know all the different laws but can you tell me of one that doesn't have holes in it big enough to drive a horde of Taliban through

Forum Editor 00:11 10 Nov 2009

The words 'legislation' and 'watertight' are mutually exclusive, and it has always been thus. Drafting laws is not an exact science because people aren't predictable - they insist on wandering off the script all the time.

I very much doubt that there has ever been a law which worked perfectly, straight from the box. Laws are interpreted by the courts, and tweaked by governments - it's a constant process, and by and large it works very well.

realist 08:30 10 Nov 2009
  morddwyd 09:25 10 Nov 2009

Am I being pessimistic or is it but a short step from here to recording all phone calls?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?