UK frauds on Ebay

jakimo 00:28 04 Mar 2006

don't become a victim!

click here

Forum Editor 08:34 04 Mar 2006

It should be obvious to anyone with a grain of sense that on-line auction sites are a powerful magnet for the criminal fraternity. Large numbers of people, fueled by greed, think that they'll get something good for almost nothing, and there's no shortage of other people ready and waiting for them.

Ebay's reaction to the statement that fraudulent transactions have increased of late was this:

"The vast majority of the cases relate to transactions that did not take place on eBay. We have been led to believe that, in most of the cases, the users were contacted via email – rather than on the eBay site. Payments were made using money transfer services such as Western Union, which are banned on eBay because they are not traceable."

None of which surprises me. What happens is that people are blinded to reality by their own greed. Driven by the urge to get that perfect 'bargain' they plough on, apparently oblivious to all the warning signs and then, when it all goes horribly wrong they blame Ebay for not protecting them, when all along they might have protected themselves by using a little basic commonsense.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:00 04 Mar 2006

It is the norm that people always blame something/someone else when their blind greed i highlighted. Anyone paying £20 and expecting to receive a 50" Plasma TV really deserves to lose every penny they have as they cannot be trusted to hold money. Anyone coughing up £50 and expecting to receive a brand new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop deserves to lose every penny.

As with everything in life their is a modicum of personal responsibility which people do not seem to want if they can be spoon fed. Compared with the amount of items sold daily on Ebay the fraud level is very, very low and the OBVIOUS warning signs are usually ignored by the more gormless people that think they can make a huge saving.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:03 04 Mar 2006

ps...even the auctions where 'XBoxes' were being offered for silly prices, were obviously dodgy. If the muppets who bid on them had read the spiel beforehand they would have saved a lot of money rather than whining that Ebay had cheated them out of £200.....Ebay did not cheat them, thier own stupidity and greed did.

G

€dstowe 10:08 04 Mar 2006

As the old saying goes:

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

As true now as it ever was.

namtas 11:30 04 Mar 2006

Each and every one of us is entitled to a view point and it is good that we have the freedom to express it, however I do feel that sometimes we tend to forget that everyone does not have that same assumed level of expertise and education, sometimes maybe it is not greed or selfishness but lack of understanding or a strong belief in common honesty that leads to action some would say was foolish. I think that we need to start to remember that we live today in a very diverse and complicated world. To many so called educated persons, common sense, fairness and honesty is a condition that is understood, level and transparent. In truth life today is very different to this; this so called norm is not the same for all persons. Education ethics and morals all play a part and maybe instead of being so ready to attack and criticise “the gullible" maybe we should try to understand that we are all not the same. I think sometimes we should be more careful with our criticise and liberal with our praise.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:44 04 Mar 2006

None of the above is rocket science and can be understood by doing a little reading. Time and time again people refuse to accept any self responsibility. If we were talking about particle science I would agree that it is a tad difficult to understand but being an apologist for laziness and the refusal to do a LITTLE bit of research does not sit easily with me. If you can dress yourself you can understand the effect of greed.

G

Forum Editor 11:44 04 Mar 2006

Your point is well-made, and I certainly had no intention of attacking and criticising what you call “the gullible" in a blanket sense. What I would like to point out however, is that in essence an online auction isn't really any different to many other offline life experiences where gullibility is concerned.

If you went into any high-street on a Saturday morning and set up a stall with a photo of an expensive camera and a sign offering "cameras for a fiver" you would soon be mobbed with buyers. Those people would be driven by the same force that tempts millions (but not all) of Ebay's purchasers, and that's greed - the desire to get something for less than its perceived worth. Many of your customers would hear warning bells but they would plough on regardless, driven by the overriding lust for a bargain. Lots of them wouldn't care how you were able to offer such an amazing deal, or question why there wasn't an real camera on display. Commonsense goes out of the window.

Does that make all of those people "the gullible"? Perhaps it does, but perhaps a good proportion of them are just plain stupid, and deserve to become the victims of their own foolish greed. At the very least they shouldn't have a justification for saying "the local authority/chamber of commerce/police should have protected me".

There comes a point when you must take responsibility for your own lack of judgement, surely?

€dstowe 12:39 04 Mar 2006

Perhaps I may add another old adage:

"Once bitten, twice shy."

Unfortunately, it doesn't work and often the Homer Simpson principle occurs where everything of the past is ignored in favour of a moment of indulgence in the present.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:50 04 Mar 2006

The definition of insanity...doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result.

G

spuds 13:05 04 Mar 2006

We are always stating that it is greed that leads to to inevitable. Would you class it as greed, when you purchase the 'Buy one, get one Free' or 'Get three for the price of two', which most supermarkets seem to offer.Perhaps the store purchasing an item from a supplier or manufacturer, then putting a 200%-250% mark-up on the price. Where do we find the true meaning of greed.

I and no doubt many other people, have been into places like B&Q and purchased a clearance line item.I did exactly this the other week, saw the display advert which stated £139.99 clearance price £69.99. Did this make me more greedier than my fellow being, because I excepted the offer, and purchased the item!.

Yes there are big scams on eBay, and sometimes the least wary are lead into these scams.There are methods that the more experienced ebayer tends to use, before making that final decision of clicking on the bid now button.But these methods can never be 100%.

eBay and PayPal can help more that what they appear to do at present. Giving statements that "money transfer services such as Western Union,which are banned on eBay", doesn't help one little bit, when eBay doesn't prevent this from happening. Check out some of the advertising that 'as slipped through the net' on a daily basis.

On a personal note, I made a purchase last year via a straight forward every day type of advert on eBay.The seller appeared to be very genuine, with past records. Payment made, then problems commenced which lead to what can be described as deception, obtaining money by false pretenses and fraud. Without going into full details, I found the whole event very frustrating in the way eBay and PayPal dealt with the situation,and their cavalier attitude, and to this moment of time, further actions are pending.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?