UK businesses to share in Olympic Gold?

Snec 13:41 11 Feb 2010

In a high-profile announcement at a special Olympics business summit last November, the Government promised British firms that nearly £2billion worth of contracts for the Games were still up for grabs.

At the time Business Secretary Peter Mandelson said: “With both Government and business working together, companies of all sizes across the UK can share in Olympic gold.”

Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell said: “There are still plenty of opportunities for British businesses to benefit from the Olympics. In these tough economic times, London 2012 is helping to keep order books busy.”

BUT, as always, they say one thing and something else happens. Good start, this............

A MULTI-million pound contract to manufacture official souvenirs for the London Olympics has been awarded to a Chinese company.

The firm will be the sole licensee for making official London Olympics badges, meaning that British firms have been cut out of the market.

The Chinese beat competition from 26 other businesses – the majority of them British.

ol blueeyes 15:37 11 Feb 2010

I don't want to say much on this subject otherwise I shall say too much and I shall be told off. But are you surprised, foreigners are taking over our Country so they might as well get in on the ""British Olympics""

peter99co 15:45 11 Feb 2010

It may have something to do with workers pay rates being very much lower in China.

ol blueeyes 15:48 11 Feb 2010

Surely even Mr Brown knows that so he shouldn't make promises. But then his life is full of unkept promises.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:13 11 Feb 2010

'The company has now set up a UK subsidiary, Honav UK Ltd, based in central London'...it could be an office staffed by one person though and is hardly likely to be a sprawling manufacturing plant, esp. not in Central London.The badges are being distributed from a Nottingham warehouse. Naturally, any jobs 'created' by this boon will be a tad precarious after the games. methinks this is referred to as 'short term fix' and 'service industry jobs only'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache