for UFO buffs only

Sethhaniel 12:58 13 Feb 2007

click here

The film I featured in a couple of years ago along with Nick Pope on UFOs is up on the web at the above address

My 15 minutes of fame ;)

Sethhaniel 13:36 13 Feb 2007
  Friday's Child 14:18 13 Feb 2007

Thankyou for that - I enjoyed watching it.

It was what a good documentary should be in that it gave a balanced and neutral view.

I am a sceptic and agree with Nick Pope's statement that UFO does not necessarilly equate with alien (extra-terrestrial) craft. There are many sightings which have not been explained and could be aliens or some form(s) of natural phenomena which we do not yet understand.

As long as people are prepared to discuss the possibilities calmly rather than dogmatically, I believe that we may eventually understand what we are looking at. Unfortunately I believe that most people approach the subject with their minds made up one way or the other.

I hope that your film is eventually aired on TV and that there is a sensible debate but somehow I doubt that that will happen (the sensible debate).

IClaudio 23:01 13 Feb 2007

I remember seeing a programme some years ago, in which the UFO Investigation Department of the USAF decided that '95% of all sightings were explainable by ordinary circumstances'. Hmmm, what about the 5% un-explainable?

As you say, Friday's Child, that doesn't necessarily point to an alien invasion...

Forum Editor 23:43 13 Feb 2007

"Hmmm, what about the 5% un-explainable?"

just that - they're unexplainable, it doesn't mean that they are therefore alien visitations.

As I've said dozens of times during the many debates we've had on this subject over the years - there has not so far been a single verifiable instance of an alien visit to this planet. The nearest star system to ours is Alpha Centauri, and the nearest star is the smallest in that group - called Proxima Centauri, a red dwarf that's just under four and a half light years away. Travelling at the speed of light (which is isn't remotely likely) an alien craft would take four and a half years to get here and the same time to get back. That's always assuming the aliens would want to do the 9 year trip in the first place.

Alien captain to base: "Were here, what shall we do?"

9 years later the response comes:

"Take a look around, and tell us what you see"

9 years later:

"Lots of water, lots of beings, lots of pollution, it's a bit like home really. What shall we do now?"

9 years later:

"You might as well come home then"

Thirty six years after leaving home the craft returns. Always assuming that it travels at the speed of light; if it goes at half that speed (still an incredible proposition) the trip would have taken 45 years.

The whole idea is ludicrous, and as things stand at the moment nothing of the kind has ever happened, except in the vivid imaginations of those who believe otherwise.

Friday's Child 01:28 14 Feb 2007

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)

As I said earlier, I am a sceptic. Nevertheless, I would not be so brave as to say “The whole idea is ludicrous, and as things stand at the moment nothing of the kind has ever happened, except in the vivid imaginations of those who believe otherwise.”

It is very true that the nearest known star (outside of our solar system) is approximately four and a half light years away but there are other facts to consider.

According to Einstein (who presumably knew a little more about the subject than most of us), space/time can (simply put) be bent and thus we could conceivably travel the distance in much less time. This is the basis of the worm-hole idea which was first explained by the theoretical physicist John Wheeler in 1957. (It should be noted that there is no observational evidence to prove the existence of wormholes but equally there is no scientifically observed evidence of the existence of a deity which does not stop most of us [including me] from believing in one.)

It is not so long ago in human evolution that we were unable to discern a number of types of stars; it is a matter of scientific advancement that we can now do so. Scientists now tell us that there is a great deal of ‘dark matter’ in the universe which we cannot yet ‘see’. Perhaps there is still a type of star system which is composed of ‘dark matter’ and we just cannot ‘see’ it.

Teleportation is something which we all see in science fiction and tend to regard as being just that – fiction yet there are studies going on that could eventually lead to it becoming a reality. It is theoretically possible to achieve it if we had the knowledge, power and computing capability.

When Europeans explored the world, their journeys were very long in their eyes but they still made them.

If (and it is a very big if) there are extra-terrestrial visitors to this planet, they can be assumed to be much more highly advanced than ourselves and therefore may have found the answers to the above points.

We do not know what the life-span and conception of time of such currently hypothetical beings would be and therefore the lengths of time mentioned above could be much less important to them.

Of course the 5% of unexplainable sightings are just that ‘unexplainable’ just the U in UFO means ‘unidentified’ rather than ‘extraterrestrial’.

It was for this reason that I mentioned the idea of discussing ‘the possibilities calmly rather than dogmatically’.

I still do not believe in the visitations of Earth by such beings but I do think that we should remember how recent it was that the ideas of powered flight and men in space (not to mention global warming) were dismissed as totally ridiculous (and dinosaur bones were said to be from giants plus the first stuffed duck-billed platypus was dismissed as a hoax) and therefore keep an open mind.

robgf 01:32 14 Feb 2007

It is very easy to be fooled into thinking you are seeing a UFO.
Some years ago I was cycling up a country lane near to home and in the road ahead was a group of about half a dozen people, all looking intently at the spinney opposite.
I slowed down to see what the excitement was and someone pointed out a silver globe, that was moving back and forth, at tree top height.
It looked just like some sort of craft and speculation was rife.
I always carry a small monocular (russian made, very good) in my saddlebag and after a quick look through it, I could clearly see that the mysterious globe was in fact a silver ballon, tethered to a track, in the field behind the spinney. Obviously it was some sort of bird scarer.

It shows just how easy it is to be fooled and any pictures taken would have been quite convincing.

Sethhaniel 08:20 14 Feb 2007

The speed of light - differs from planet to planet - the speed of light on Jupiter is totally different to that on Earth - it is no good judging everything by the 'earth man' made theories - one has to broaden to the possibilities of what is out there ;)

Main Access 08:30 14 Feb 2007

The speed of light is constant at 299,792,458 metres per second.

jimv7 10:22 14 Feb 2007

Main Access

"The speed of light is constant at 299,792,458 metres per second."

In english that equates to 186,000 miles per second approx.

Totally-braindead 10:24 14 Feb 2007

Sethhaniel could you explain why the speed of light is different on other planets?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?