UFO !

muddypaws 19:10 23 Jul 2010

Can anyone identify this which was on our front door this morning. The neares I can get is ' nemours cinerea. click here

click here

It was about 25 mms long, longer than the 11 mms given in wiki.
Thanks.

rawprawn 19:17 23 Jul 2010

Etnomology was never my strong point, but it looks like a long fly to me. Buy a fly swat, and turn it into a flatpack for coser examination.

muddypaws 19:28 23 Jul 2010

rawprawn
Was that meant to be closer or cosier! (:-)

Forum Editor 19:39 23 Jul 2010

Some people might think it was a cricket, but you can always tell the difference - grasshoppers have short antennae, those on a cricket are much longer.

morddwyd 23:50 23 Jul 2010

This post has made me realise how long it is since I saw or heard a grasshopper.

When I was younger they would be hopping about all over the place when you walked on grassland, even grass as short as a cricket outfield (no pun intended).

Now you just don't see them.

rdave13 01:20 24 Jul 2010

With deep respect, when you were younger, you had the time to listen to these wonderful creatures. Now you have more pressing responsibilities and through survival instinct have to ignore. I'm heading this way fast myself.
Trouble is that in our ages you think it's 'work' to go back to the fields and hunt for the sounds of 'sioncyn-y-gwair'.
When it's dry in your area (eyes raised) walk the fields and bugger the public footpaths!
Enjoy.

morddwyd 08:00 24 Jul 2010

Now I'm older I have even more time for such pursuits, and a more tranquil outlook on life to enjoy them!

Take your point about the fields, but at one time even the normal urban lawn had its share of grasshoppers.

BT 08:06 24 Jul 2010

Thousands of them hopping out of the way of my mower last time I cut the grass. They were only small, about 1cm, but there were an awful lot of them.

muddypaws 09:06 24 Jul 2010

Forum Editor.
Thanks. Must be this
click here

It was the size that puzzled me.
A few nostalgic posts out of it anyway.
I'll hop off here.

rdave13 01:09 25 Jul 2010

The best fields to walk are the fallow ones. Not grazed or cultivated, but are becomming increasingly difficult to find, even in my area.
Turning leaves over to find cuckoo spit or yellow and black striped caterpillars is fascinating.
A multitude of insects and spiders that you could watch for hours. In the process of showing my youngest these wonderful sights but the weather this weekend is abysmal.

egapup 10:26 25 Jul 2010

Step on it, that'll sort it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?