tyres without air

carver 10:47 22 Jan 2012

airless tyresWhile looking at another posting I came across this

Now I don't know if it's been talked about before but I got to thinking that this is not such a bad idea, WTM will know what I mean about getting a blow out on a truck, It's very scary and quick to happen.

Theres quite a few sites along the same lines of tyre running with out air and you can't help but think that maybe we have got so used to pneumatic tyres we take the downside of them with out thinking.

No more changing a flat tyre in the rain.

Quickbeam 11:00 22 Jan 2012

The technology's been around a few years on building sites for slow moving construction vehicles like JCBs etc.

It looks like they've been developing it for higher speed use too. In the early part of the 20th century steam trucks used solid rubber tyres, but any sustained speed over 20mph caused the core to heat up to melting point and tear off of the rim.

WhiteTruckMan 11:07 22 Jan 2012

Blowouts on trucks? Been there, done that, bought new underwear!

But seriously, blowouts are far rarer than they used to be. Just speaking for trucks, what usually happens is the tread comes off ( of a remoulded tyre) because of a - probably - manufacturing defect. At this point the carcass is still inflated, but the stresses involved will cause it to overheat rapidly leading to to a usually non explosive failure, followed bu rapid shedding of debris.

The last time I had a blowout in the traditional sense was about 15 years ago on the M69 at about 3am in a 38 tonner. the tyre directly underneath me blew at speed, the rim dug into the road surface and I was in the third lane before I brought it under control Note: if you should ever have one, do NOT slam the brakes on, no matter how tempting. Just let the vehicle slow down naturally.

Pretty much all car tyre failure these days is down to overheating though low pressure. So be in the habit of glancing at them as you approach your vehicle. If it looks soft, get it checked. and soon! Also carry a cheap compressor for such times.

WTM

(btw, not watched the vis as I'm having bandwidth problems at the moment.

Quickbeam 11:18 22 Jan 2012

I doubt that we'll see them on trucks for a while yet. At least not until they have a proven margin of safety up to 80mph to allow for Irish registered trucks passing through to the continent. Other wise the road from Hollyhead to Felixstowe would be littered with wrecked Irish trucks...

caccy 11:25 22 Jan 2012

Nothing new then. They were common in Zambia in the 1970's except that they were bicycle tyres and used dry grass in place of inner tubes.

OTT_B 21:08 22 Jan 2012

"No more changing a flat tyre in the rain"

Maybe not, but you'd more than likely find yourself crashing a lot more often! Tyre wall stiffness is vital to the way a car handles. Stiffer tyre walls = improved lateral grip (sort of). I wouldn't be looking at putting these on a car anytime soon!

robgf 21:39 22 Jan 2012

I had some on my bicycle years ago, they had a foam core. But the ride was a bit harsh and spokes kept snapping, I gave up on them after a few weeks, an expensive trial run.

These new ones look clever, but I'm not sure about the open sides. The kids around here would be jamming cans and stones in the gaps, to see what happened.

Condom 21:42 22 Jan 2012

Give the police a thing or two to think about when re-ordering "stingers"

WhiteTruckMan 22:42 22 Jan 2012

I'm sure I've seen a run flat device that consists of a kind of ring that is clamped into the inner well of a wheel rim. In event of loss of pressure it supports the weight of the vehicle, helps control of the vehicle and prevents the tyre from pulling off the rim.

WTM

spuds 00:15 23 Jan 2012

Perhaps off subject slightly, but the other day I was in a tyre/exhaust outlet, and on the wall was a big poster that was advertising the fact the tyres should be filled with a (I think) Nitrogen mixture and not just compressed air. Apparently this was all to do with speed, road conditions and heat displacement, which can effect tyre pressure!.

Apparently, this mixture is used by many of the major bus and transport companies?.

Quickbeam 08:24 23 Jan 2012

Well when I was at school, the Earth's atmosphere was mainly an 80/20% mix of nitrogen/oxygen. So yes, the major bus and transport companies, and all of the rest us are using this special mix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?