Typing errors

sunny staines 10:43 18 Sep 2006

Is it just me & my medication [says on the advice slip you may hear see & smell things that are not there]

But when I type on the computer I have no end of errors often i forget to read & check prior to sending. But often after doing so I only notice errors when I read from printer paper they do not seem to stand out so much on the screen.

Am I thinking too fast for my typing or just a clumsy one digit typist, could be both.

Any other reader's as bad as me.

DieSse 10:50 18 Sep 2006

The Google toolbar includes a spelling checker (works in this forum) - one click and it checks for you.

Mind you - you've got to remember to click - and I don't always.

SANTOS7 11:05 18 Sep 2006

Yea, i can relate to that especially the one digit typist bit, have tried to use fingers in what would be loosely described as the correct config but with sensitive keyboards it is surprising how many times you type two letters at the same time...

Cymro. 11:32 18 Sep 2006

I have hands like a bunch of bananas and never could spell anyway, so the best thing that ever happened for me was the spellchecker on a computer.

sunny staines 11:36 18 Sep 2006

diesse

thanks for the toolbar tip.

nice to see i'm not alone, i often press down two keys in error.

Jak_1 20:19 18 Sep 2006

Cymro.
Mon, [email protected]:32

I have hands like a bunch of bananas and never could spell anyway, so the best thing that ever happened for me was the spellchecker on a computer.

Even that is not a foolproof method, it depends upon whether, wether or weather the word you want is corectly spelt for the context of the writing. Spellcheck can not differentiate between words that sound the same but have different meanings. If you sea what aye mean.

jack 20:26 18 Sep 2006

Spell checkers are fine, and my 'trypos'are legion
but one thing I cannot seem to comprehend is the fact that when my thought train is thinking one thing , on read back[and I do sometimes] I find whole words that have crept in that I am sure I did not 'think' or intend.

josie mayhem 21:33 21 Sep 2006

I blame it on the keyboard personaly myself with a touch of dylexia thrown in....

Add to that and depending what I am doing I use 3 different computers all with different keyboards...

Is quite surprising how much difference there can be in a so called standard keyboard, I really notice it when I've swap from one to another...

And then the brain doean't always match typing speed either....

I am surprised that I am able to type a cohearant paragraph at times....

Kate B 21:43 21 Sep 2006

One of the most useful skills I have acquired is the ability to touch-type. But what's interesting is how it becomes something that's hard-wired. I had trouble with my mouse hand a while back and tried to use it with my other hand and I was really surprised to discover that doing that messed quite badly with my ability to type. Suddenly a skill I haven't had to think about for more than 20 years was really messed up and difficult and of course immediately was fine the moment I returned the mouse to my right hand.

Jak_1 00:54 22 Sep 2006

Kate B
Thu, [email protected]:43

One of the most useful skills I have acquired is the ability to touch-type. But what's interesting is how it becomes something that's hard-wired. I had trouble with my mouse hand a while back and tried to use it with my other hand and I was really surprised to discover that doing that messed quite badly with my ability to type. Suddenly a skill I haven't had to think about for more than 20 years was really messed up and difficult and of course immediately was fine the moment I returned the mouse to my right hand.

Thats because the the brain controls opposits, ie, the left side of the brain controls all functions on the right hand side of the body and the right side the left. Put a spanner in the works of this equilibrium and confusion ensues, unless you are ambidextrous!
For those that are not ambidextrous then having to use the oposite hand is difficult but with patience can be achieved with good results.

silverous 08:32 22 Sep 2006

DieSse> Great tip (google toolbar spelling) thanks.

Interesting that in checking this post it seemed t osuggest google was incorrect :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?