TV Viewing figures

n4165si 14:34 28 Feb 2009

Does anyone know how viewing figures that are compiled and published for a particular programme that has been shown,or are they guess work

Si_L 14:45 28 Feb 2009

Its not guess work. It works by having a cross sections of about 5,000 homes which a part of a panel. Their programs are tracked, and put into context of the wider population.

n4165si 14:53 28 Feb 2009

Si_L
Thanks for that ,but when you see that millions have tuned into a particular programme ,against a panel of 5000 people tracked ,the figures produced have to be taken with a bit of licence i fear

Si_L 16:42 28 Feb 2009

I think 5000 is a fair sample to take, the figures are of course estimated based on this cross section but I doubt the real life figures will be far off. The main purpose is I think for advertising, and so it doesn't need to be 100% accurate, as it is just a means for companies to gauge how much exposure their adverts will get.

interzone55 16:55 28 Feb 2009

5000 is a good sample size, a lot of the surveys you read in the papers like "3m people drink to excess" are based on samples as low as a couple of hundred.

click here'_Audience_Research_Board

The RAJAR panel for radio listening figures uses a massive sample of around 130,000 people. These panellists fill in a listening diary every 1/4 hour for a week, with figures compiled once a quarter.
click here

interzone55 16:56 28 Feb 2009
  canarieslover 17:05 28 Feb 2009

Does every survey use the same 5000 people?? Having reached the ripe old age of 66 I have never been asked for my opinion in any survey. Mind you I haven't even been called for jury service though I know someone who has sat on four juries. Am I lucky or not?

Si_L 17:17 28 Feb 2009

I would love the chance to sit on a jury so I guess unlucky.

Si_L 18:03 28 Feb 2009

"The problem comes with small audiences for the minor channels where the margin of error in the survey can be significant."

I have just read up on this and apparently, with just 5000 people, and so many channels, occasionally a channel is being watched by nobody, which causes a dilemma as to the viewing figures. Obviously there are people watching the channel, but if none of the 5000 are, what do you quote the viewing figure as?

Maybe I was wrong, and the sample size is too small.

canarieslover 19:40 28 Feb 2009

I'm with you on the like to sit on a jury thing. I feel that I have missed out on something.

interzone55 19:58 28 Feb 2009

It's not a survey as such.

The panellists have an adapted TV which reports back on which channel is being watched. Every 1/4 hour the viewers are prompted to tell the TV how many people are in the room...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?