TV Text Services

morddwyd 08:19 04 Nov 2013

ITV stopped their text service some years ago, and now Sky have stopped theirs.

Is it only a matter of time before the BBC, the world pioneers of the service in the 70s, use the frequency niche it uses for something else (probably more sports coverage)?

Mr Mistoffelees 09:28 04 Nov 2013

Last time I tried using it, just a couple of weeks ago to catch-up with the weather forecast, it was hopelessly slow.

Aitchbee 10:11 04 Nov 2013

Interestingly, one of the smaller, family run, bookmaking-chains [they have only 3 offices in Glasgow], still use a customised version of TV Teletext on all of their information screens. I guess they employ one of their own staff to input all of the up-to-date data as required; it seems to work well.

morddwyd 11:37 04 Nov 2013

I think you're confusing it with Teketext, which stopped some time ago.

I am talking about the digital text services in general. The speed is a function of the TV set, not the service.

It's certainly faster than my broadband connection!

fourm member 12:33 04 Nov 2013
  morddwyd 13:10 04 Nov 2013

"t seems to be a key part of the BBC's overall offer."

That's never made a difference in the past when cost cutting is concerned! Remember they were going to close Radio 6 once.

Phil Ocifer 06:26 06 Nov 2013

Used to use teletext for weather, holidays, Bamber Boozler and errrm, news . . . struggling now . . . .

Times move on. Lotto results is the only use for my TV text service these days, and only if I can't be bothered reaching for the phone, tablet or laptop. Phil.

morddwyd 08:15 06 Nov 2013

The text services provided on those other platforms are simply not the same as those provided by digital text services, nor are they all in one place.

For instance, the BBC News site does not provide local Scottish news, or MotoGP news, and the Sky website does not provide a rolling 3 minute news summary, and a similar weather service, or NFL news, just to mention a few.

BT 08:17 06 Nov 2013

I recall seeing a Demo of Teletext at the Radio Show at Olympia before it was available on air. It was a useful service in its day but what I found so annoying was if you just missed a page when there were a lot of pages in a selection and you had to wait an eternity for it to come around again, and if the page had a lot of content you didn't always have enough time to read it all.

fourm member 11:00 06 Nov 2013

The remarkable thing about Teletext is that, in the 1990s, I was at an exhibition in the USA where someone was demonstrating a data via TV service on a cable TV network and claiming it was a completely new idea. The sales director had never heard of Teletext even though it had been around a very long time by then.

BT 11:06 06 Nov 2013

I seem to remember the Science Museum in London had a display where you could have a try of it, well before it was generally available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires