TV programmes showing their age

WhiteTruckMan 15:14 31 Jan 2011

A few days ago I was at my inlaws house, and the idiot box was on, showing Diagnosis Murder (starring Dick Van Dyke, owner of the worlds worst cockney accent) And it showed someone sat in a car taking pictures with a camera & long lense. After they finished, they opened up the camera and pocketed the roll of 35mm film. I commented to my mother in law that that dated the show, as nowadays you would have a digital camera with a screen on the back instead. She promptly pointed out something else that dated it: someone pulling up the aerial on a mobile phone!

Anyone else seen anything similar on old TV shows?

WTM

Bingalau 15:26 31 Jan 2011

Can't remember off-hand but will be looking in future, hope it doesn't become too much of a habit and spoil my viewing sessions.

By the way I like that show and the other day I saw one of the episodes where Dick van Dyke did a little dance at the end. He was very talented and I still love watching Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang with the grand children (or on my own for that matter).

wolfie3000 16:11 31 Jan 2011

Iv noticed something similar in anime, In the 90s every character had natural coloured hair, but anime now its all blue, green and purple.

BT 16:58 31 Jan 2011

I've got a mobile phone with a pull up aerial. It can be handy if reception is poor.

interzone55 17:27 31 Jan 2011

Something that really dates TV programs & films is characters smoking.

It's something that's rarely seen on TV nowadays...

BT 17:45 31 Jan 2011

Probably worth a few bob now!
Pity it probably doesn't work any more - Analogue?

Forum Editor 18:51 31 Jan 2011

it really irritates me when the producers of TV dramas feel compelled to insert a sound effect of a whirring camera motor over every scene involving someone taking clandestine photos. There's also the infuriating 'whoosh!' sound effect over all photographs being taken of dead bodies.

Then there's the furious clacking of keyboards when the IT expert says 'I think I can get you into this, just give me a moment'.There follows furious clacking, but not a single mouse click.

Pass me that shotgun.

Strawballs 18:59 31 Jan 2011

My annoyance is when they show a big single 4 stroke motorcycle then add the noise of a small 2stroke, but as for dated is when something shows the New York skyline and it's still showing the twin towers.

jakimo 19:32 31 Jan 2011

Might have been acceptable 25 years ago

Diagnosis Murder is nothing more than a medical drama farce,a doctor spending 90% of his time solving murders could be nothing less.

Another farce is 'Murder she Wrote' an American version of the 'Miss Marple'stories,in which as an author, travels the world while at the same time of writing best sellers she solves 264 murders that even baffle the local police

spuds 19:41 31 Jan 2011

For dated films and modern comparisons, check out a few vintage movies like Keystone Cops, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin etc ;o)

Even the African Queen, had its dramatic moments.

And to boot, most of the old timers did their own stunts.

Colin 20:01 31 Jan 2011

American films where car tyres squeal on dirt roads. Also, there doesn’t seem to be an American car that can pull away on tarmac without squealing its tyres.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?